Nitrile Medical Gloves – Everything You Need to Know?
By BestRatedDocs | Last Updated: 25 Mar, 2020
The popularity or nitrile gloves have increased tremendously. Hence, to make a well-informed decision regarding finding the best Nitrile glove for you, this post provides deep insights into everything you must know.
What are Nitrile Gloves?
Nitrile gloves are prepared out of synthetic rubber and are the best alternative to latex gloves, which are prone to allergy concerns. Often, these gloves are referred to as ‘medical grade gloves,’ because they possess great resistance to puncture and cut.
In the medical industry, nitrile gloves are used in almost every field and have replaced the latex gloves to a great extent. It is because, in addition to offering protection from cuts, chemicals, and punctures, these gloves keep the worry of allergic reactions away. Hence, those individuals who are prone to experience allergic reactions with latex gloves can use nitrile gloves.
Best Selling Nitrile Gloves
- PROFESSIONAL-GRADE: Designed with heavy duty vinyl, the Medpride Vinyl gloves offer amazing tactile sensitivity for fine equipment handling, superior medical...
- HIGHLY VERSATILE: Our vinyl gloves are designed to be highly versatile and can be used in a variety of professions: law enforcement professionals, physicians,...
- SUPERIOR & SAFER TO LATEX: Vinyl is a highly resilient material that offers exceptional protection against contaminations when handling blood, bodily fluids or...
- COMFORTABLE FIT: The gloves feature a Vinyl build that allows for heavy duty use without fear of puncture. They are powder-free, ambidextrous and offer a...
- AVAILABLE IN VARIOUS SIZES & COUNTS: These powder-free gloves come in sizes Small, Medium, Large & Extra Large so that you can find your perfect fit....
- High Performance Black Nitrile Gloves
- Avoid dirty hands
- Wrist Lenght
- Available in Small, Medium, Large & Extra Large
- Box of 100 gloves
- Nitrile blue 5mil. powder free 1 box of 100 medical grade
A Brief History of Nitrile Gloves
Nitrile gloves were invented in the 1980s by two personalities, Luc DeBecker, and Neil Tillotson. The technique finalization for manufacturing of the same was done in 1990. In the late 1990s, the Tillitson Corporation got the patent formula and production right for nitrile gloves.
Just like latex gloves, even nitrile gloves are manufactured on a large scale basis. The demand for nitrile gloves increased tremendously in the late 1980s to early 2000s during the AIDS Epidemic in Malaysia. It was because unlike latex gloves, these gloves offered medical practitioners absolute protection from meeting any allergies. Since then the popularity of nitrile gloves in the medical field has remained high.
The Manufacturing of Nitrile Gloves
Nitrile gloves are made of rubber or synthetic latex with a composition of physical properties that imparts them strong resistance to petroleum fuels and oils. One primary benefit that nitrile gloves are known to possess is that they contain no latex proteins.
The gloves manufactured with this synthetic composition hold up to 3 times resistance to puncture as compared to latex gloves. Primarily, for this reason, nitrile gloves are used widely in multiple industries, specifically food service and medical applications.
Characteristics of Nitrile Gloves
Some of the prominent characteristics of nitrile gloves are:
- These gloves are latex-free and possess resistance to latex allergies.
- They possess high resistance to puncture and damage.
- Nitrile gloves possess a great level of sensitivity.
- They mold completely to the desired hand shape and hence offer a great fit.
- They hold great resistance to damage and are therefore ideal to wear for an extended period of time.
- Nitrile gloves are ideal to work in high-risk situations involving chemicals and infectious materials.
- They resist most of the chemicals but still it is best to use medical gloves for a certain chemical only after considering all its safety measures.
- Medical gloves possess a long shelf life. They are durable and long-lasting.
- These gloves are available in a variety of different colors.
What Does Different Colors of Nitrile Gloves Mean?
Nitrile gloves are available in a variety of colors. The interesting thing related to the color of these gloves is that it does not affect the quality and strength of the gloves.
Traditionally, nitrile gloves were available only in blue color in order to differentiate them as non-latex gloves. However, the dynamic laboratory environments wanted to avoid cross contaminations and so that they have different colors of gloves for varying areas of the lab. With this visual distinction, it became easier to reduce cross contamination.
Presently, nitrile gloves are available in a variety of colors, with every color showcasing its own use.
- Black Nitrile Gloves – Usually, such nitrile gloves are used by the postal workers and law enforcement officers.
- Orange Nitrile Gloves – Such nitrile gloves are used by auto mechanics in numerous applications that need a worker to be in dark confined spaces. These gloves are of great help in low light confines areas as this color illuminates in the dark and adds an additional level of safety.
- Blue Nitrile Gloves – This is the most preferred color for medical facilities.
- Pink, Purple, and Grey Nitrile Gloves – Along with blue nitrile gloves, even these colors are also used in medical facilities. Sometimes, the medical professionals wear two gloves, one over the other in order to easily recognize glove failure. For example, if a person wears a blue glove under the gray glove then this helps them to know when a gray glove gets ripped or punctured.
Besides these industry preferences, you can select the color of nitrile gloves as per your own preference.
Nitrile gloves offer great benefits over latex gloves. These gloves possess excellent features or characteristics. So, if you are a medical practitioner or a medical student and looking out for a high-quality, durable, and efficient medical glove then opt to buy nitrile medical gloves.
Dr. David Taylor is a medical professional and an avid blogger. He holds an M.D. from Drexel University & a Ph.D. from Indiana University School of Medicine.
Dr. David loves to utilize technology to improve healthcare and he does it daily through BestRatedDocs.com. He founded the company in 2016 with the vision to make the discoverability of the best healthcare facilities & best products simple and easy. His passion for informatics and using technology to empower healthcare professionals and the patients they serve is unmatched. He regularly blogs about technology, health IT, medical products and other healthcare topics at bestrateddocs.com.
Last updated on 2020-05-28 // Source: Amazon Affiliates