Best Wheelchairs – Ultimate Guide Top 10 Wheelchairs (2019)
By BestRatedDocs | Last Updated: 03 Jan, 2019
A wheelchair is a specially designed chair designed to offer maximum mobility to the users with any physical issues, high age, or a disability. Buying a wheelchair offers the person support and freedom to move around with freedom. It is because wheelchairs are incorporated with special controls.
But out there are varieties of wheelchairs are available in the market. The availability of different models makes it difficult for individuals to make the correct choice. Hence, here we present you the list of best wheelchairs that promises to offer you maximum maneuverability, speed, comfort, and safety.
1. Drive Medical Blue Streak Wheelchair
- Cutting-edge wheelchair design makes independent mobility enjoyable. Width open with 20 inch seat is 26 inch
- Detachable desk arms and premium swing-away leg rests provide customizable support. Seat-To-floor Height- 19.5 inches
- 18" padded nylon wheelchair seat ensures lasting comfort and is easy to clean
- Durable tires feature push-to-lock functionality for safety. Comes with calf strap
- Overall Dimensions: 42"(L) x 24"(W) x 36"(H); Closed Width: 12.5"; Seat Dimensions: 16"(D) x 18"(W) x 19.5"(H); Armrest Height: 8"; Weight Capacity: 250 lbs
The Blue Streak wheelchair from Drive Medical is a versatile and sturdy unit ideal for moderate use. The car features basic and functional elements all of which are available at an affordable price. The wheelchair is ideal for occasional use like shopping and traveling. The wheelchair is best suited for indoor use, but you can also carry it outside on smooth surfaces.
The finest thing about this wheelchair is that it is a lightweight model available in a compact design. Hence, it is very easy to transport independently. The armless flip back feature allows you to transfer in and out of the chair with convenience. The basic footrests swing back and can be removed conveniently.
While the seat holds minimal padding, additional comfort is possible with a cushion. The easy to clean vinyl seat and metal frame structure resists cracks and chips and hence involves low-maintenance. The only thing is that the chair comes with short footrests. For this reason, it may not offer proper comfort to taller individuals.
- High Safety
- Amazing Design
- Comfortable Seat
- Durable and solid design
- Easy to Use
- Generates slightly off-putting smell
2. Invacare Tracer EX2 Wheelchair
- Removable, full-length, padded arms for easy transfers
- Attractive, silver vein finish
- Heavy-duty inner liners keep seat and back from stretching and 14-gauge cross braces add durability and strength
- T93HCP composite foot rests with heel loops
- Folds for convenient travel and storage
The wheelchair comes with an extended brake handle, enabling users to stop the chair easily and quickly for sudden stops. Additionally, the seat can be adjusted to hemi-level and standard levels on the basis of your requirements. The chair is available with both removable and fixed arms. Hence, you can customize it as per your needs.
Moreover, it is an exceptionally durable and robust carbon steel frame that comes with 14-gauge cross braces. The car weighs 37 pounds but does not offer upper-body strength to lift into a vehicle. The chair holds a low weight limit of 250 pounds and is not an excellent choice for bariatric use.
- Easy to Transport
- Sturdy Design
- Toilet Fixtures
- Comfortable Seat
- Unexpected Stops
- Heavy with Additional Features
3. Karman LT-980 Ultra Lightweight Wheelchair
- 0 - 60 lbs, 200 - 250 lbs, 3 - 5 Days, 300 - 450$, In-Home, Manual Wheelchair, Outdoor, Ultra Lightweight
If you are searching for a wheelchair that is ideal for outings, then the Karman LT-980 is an excellent model to consider. The wheelchair weighs 24 pounds and is an excellent choice enabling you or your caregiver to conveniently fold and stow in a wheelchair while spending the day shopping or other sights.
The chair is light enough that people with upper body strength can still have great comfort independently. The chair can be customized with a seatbelt, storage pouch, and cup holder for added safety. The chair offers a choice between elevating footrests and removable standard.
The 18-inch seat is comfortable for normal sized individuals, but would not offer a comfortable fit to people with a bigger frame. One limitation of this wheelchair is that the tires don’t provide enough traction. For this reason, navigating on ramps or small inclines can be quite difficult. The seat padding is slightly thin that may need an extra cushion when using the chair for extended hours.
- Extremely Lightweight
- Good Durability
- Foldable Design
- Amazing Mobility
- Stable Movements
- Enhanced Comfort
- Slightly Stiff Maneuver
4. Medline Hybrid 2 Transport Wheelchair
- Seat dimensions is 20 x 16 inches. The product is latex free
Now, this car is absolutely unique as it can work in transport as well as standard mode. The wheelchair is a versatile product that can be customized as per your needs. Besides altering the modes, you can also remove the small transport wheels at the front. You can instead incorporate standard wheels at its place.
This model is ideal not just for occasional as well as daily use but is an excellent purchase available at an affordable price. Individuals of various abilities can use this wheelchair with ease. The weight of this wheelchair is around 24 to 33 pounds depending on the kind of tires installed. For this reason, it is light and perfect solution for people to transport and lift to distinct places.
Besides elevating leg rests, the removable arms allow you to transfer the chair conveniently. The wheelchair can easily accommodate the majority of users. The only thing you need to check is the seat back fabric that may tear after rigorous use.
- Highly Portable
- Great Comfort
- Smooth Performance
- Absolute Safety
- Adjustment and assembly instructions not provided
5. Nova Medical products 22-inch Transport Wheelchair
- IDEAL FOR TRANSPORT, TRAVEL & SAFETY - Much easier for transporting and travel than a wheelchair. Our unique design is lightweight, simple to maneuver and folds easily. Comes with secondary wheel locks for added safety.
- MOST VERSATILE DESIGN FOR ALL TERRAIN - Comes with NOVA's patented locking hand brakes and 12" rugged rear wheels, allowing the companion to control the speed and park the brakes ... a must for safety on inclines, bumps and all-terrain. Comes with an adjustable seat belt (adjusts up to 47") and small storage pouch (9"W x 6.25"H) for keys and cell phone.
- EASY USER TRANSFER - Removable padded desk arms make transferring the user from a car, bed or chair much easier. Desk arms allow the user/transport chair to "ride up" to a desk or dining table.
- EASY TO USE FOOTRESTS - Footrests are easy to remove and lock back into place. They are easy to adjust and come with heel loops so the user can rest their feet. Footplate Height from Floor: 5" - 9"
- SPECIFICATIONS - Weight capacity - 400 lbs; Seat Width between arms - 22.5"; Seat dimensions: 21.25"w x 15.5"d; Seat height - 20"; Opened overall width - 28"; Overall dimensions folded - 10.5"W x 38"D x 20.5"H; Product weight - 27.5 lbs; Seat Height - 19.5"; Back Height to seat - 18"; Back Height to seat - 17.5"
The Nova Medical wheelchair is a 22-inch transport solution that is an excellent option for people who wish to conveniently transport chair that can accommodate people with a bigger frame. The wheelchair is around half of the weight of regular wheelchairs. It is a collapsible model that is small enough to fit into most of the cars and vehicles.
Besides having a comfortable seat back, the wheelchair holds an excellent weight holding a capacity of around 400 pounds. This is the maximum weight of any transportable wheelchair. Despite excellent holding capacity, the wheelchair weighs around 27 pounds. Furthermore, it has an extra-wide seat of 22.5 inches.
The wheelchair comes with chair arms and foldable back to transfer, which is a convenient and handy feature among transportable wheelchairs. The seat height is around 19.5 inches and is too little for shorter individuals. Also, you can use the casters on front wheels while moving on rough terrains.
- Excellent Comfort
- On-Board Storage
- Enhanced Safety
- Smooth Movement on Rough Surface
- Lack Proper Durability
6. Drive Medical Cirrus Plus Folding Power Wheelchair
- Wheelchairs & Accessories
- Cirrus Plus Power Wheelchair Folding Lightweight 20
- Made in: United States
The cirrus plus folding power wheelchair from Drive Medical is an excellent electric wheelchair available in various sizes. The wheelchair is available in three sizes – 22 inches, 20 inches, and 18 inches. Besides various sizes, the wheelchair offers a portable system that enables users to carry the wheelchair at anywhere conveniently.
The freewheel option is a unique feature of this wheelchair. In addition to this, it comes with an adjustable tension as well as padded upholstery. The seat back comes with a standard durable seat belt as well as seat cushion with a pouch that makes traveling with it much comfortable and convenient. The exclusive feature is a programmer controller incorporated right near the seat.
The swing-away footrest with heel loops and calf straps are additional exclusivities of this wheelchair. It has detachable arms and an adjustable height that offers maximum comfort to the users. The anti-trippers add to its standard safety. Moreover, the wheelchair has an attractive carbon steel frame with a finished coating of the silver vein.
The wheelchair comes with optional leg rests and flat free 12.5-inch drive wheels. It also holds a folding battery tray and wheel locks for added convenience and safety respectively.
- Convenient Mobility
- Chargeable Batteries
- Ideal for Long Miles
- Comfortable Seat
- Excellent Weight Capacity
- Enhanced Safety
- Difficult to Fold
7. EZ Lite Cruiser Reliable Heavy Duty Deluxe DX12
- The EZ Lite Cruiser Deluxe DX 12 is our Redesigned Version of the Heavy Duty (HD).
- Now with the Quickest and Easiest Folding & Unfolding action ever seen.
- Perfect for Outdoor Usage with Rugged 12" Rear Wheels, and Works Great Indoors as well.
- Lithium Ion Battery Gets 10+ miles on a single charge. Connect two batteries for 20+ miles range.
- Made for Travel - Weighs only 58 Pounds (w/o Battery) or 64 Pounds (with Battery).
If you are looking out for a portable electric wheelchair that can be stored easily in the house, then EZ Lite Cruiser Reliable Heavy Duty Deluxe DX12 is an excellent choice. The wheelchair is a perfect solution for outdoor as well as indoor use. The best part is that this wheelchair is a perfect option for travel.
The wheelchair boasts of being one of the easiest and quickest folding as well as unfolding options compared to other exclusive items. The wheelchair holds an excellent heavy-duty construction. The wheelchair is perfect for outdoor use because of rugged 12-inch wheels. Additionally, it works well indoors too.
The lithium-ion battery is another great addition to the wheelchair that can offer more than 10 miles of drive on a single charge. Also, you can link two batteries for more than 20 miles drive. The wheelchair weighs just 58 pounds without a battery while it is 64 pounds with battery. Hence, the wheelchair is a device-friendly unit.
- Perfect for Outdoor Use
- Unfold and Fold
- Simple Maneuver
8. Pride Go-Chair Travel Power Wheelchair
- Choice of 6 colors - 1 Year Extended Labor Warranty is included
- Increased 300 lb. weight capacity, Faster speed - up to 3.7 mph
- Larger, 18 amp batteries
- Improved agility - longer wheel base; wider stance; compact turning radius 25.4"
- Dual swing-away, under seat storage bins
Another electric wheelchair is the Pride Go-chair that is simple and an elegantly designed model. The wheelchair comes with an enhanced weight capacity thus enabling hefty people to use the wheelchair well. Besides this, the wheelchair comes with heavy-duty batteries leading to long-lasting battery life.
The fascinating thing about this wheelchair is that it is available in a wide range of colors. Hence, you can always select your favorite color and does not have to restrict your choice to just a single color. If you buy this wheelchair, you would be able to avail an extended labor warranty for one year. It features 18-ampere batteries. The wheelchair can increase the weight capacity to 300 pounds can cater to people with distinct body weights.
The wheelchair can swing in both the directions. It comes with storage bins underneath the chair that offer additional value to the users. With a longer wheelbase and a wide stance, the wheelchair the users can avail increased speed with ease.
- Highly Portable
- Stylish Seat
- Storage Underneath Seat
- Comfortable Footrest
9. Portable Electric Wheelchair for Elderly and Disable Mobility
- The versatile wheelchair is assembled with Aluminum Alloy Foldable chair, lithium battery, breathable seat and back cushions, and removable handrails etc., which could be a transport wheelchair when you remove the handrail.
- The controller can be installed on either the left or right handrail.
- This is the upgraded version that reduces 43.5% in weight. Lightweight and comfortable!
- The lightweight wheelchair either be a hand-push wheelchair or a electric wheelchair for your option against your standards. Otherwise, it has two kinds of brake system-manual and electric. Please kind note that you only use the wheelchair in manual mode when running out of power.
- The wheels are made of rubber, whose weight capacity is 220 pounds. The front driven wheel is 8" that could rotate 360 degrees which makes it easy for turning. (More Detailed Information in the Product Description)
One of the finest electric wheelchairs present in our list is this portable wheelchair exclusively designed for disabled and elderly mobility. The wheelchair comes with both an electric as well as a manual transmission. As a result, the controller is linked to either side thus enhancing facilitation.
The aluminum alloy foldable chair is more durable and versatile option that holds comfortable back cushions and breathable seat. It is possible to remove handrails to increase portability. Besides the accompanied controller, you can install the wheelchair on the right or left handrail. The efficient design is well-complemented with great weight.
The caretaker can also push the wheelchair by hands. It comes with a manual brake system that offers a comfortable brake during sudden incidents. The 8-inch wheels can be rotated to 360 degrees and offer enhanced movements.
- Comfortable Seat
- Comfortable Brake
- Excellent Weight Capacity
10. Innuovo Electric Wheelchair with 330lb Support
- THE SAFER CHOICE- Our electric wheelchair is FDA approved and implements a variety of safety features. These include a 360-degree joystick, solidly stable front and rear wheels, a foldable foot rest, 2x250w motors, and extremely durable construction.
- SIMPLE TO OPERATE - Using an innovative joystick design and an updated electric magnetic breaking system, our wheelchair gives you superior motion control and quick stopping. It's adjustable anti-leaning rear design also keeps it perfectly stable. Also with the separate 2 high performance lithium battery design, keep left one side battery running for the chair and customers can backup 2nd batttery charged outside.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND EASY TO FOLD - Being built with an aviation aluminum frame and weighing only 50lbs, our power wheelchair is durable and incredibly lightweight. It's also easy to fold in 3 seconds, making it perfect to travel with and store for later.
- FANSTATIC STABILITY AND COMFORT - Thanks to our power chair's unique 7.5cm thick seat cushion(with seat belt), it's extremely comfortable and prevents against seat depression and bedsores, as well as protecting the caudal, lumbar, and neck vertebra from twisting.
- SATISFACTION ENSURED - FBA service, Quality Ensured, Accesary replacement available.
This wheelchair secures a prestigious position in our list of best wheelchairs. The reason for its reputed position is its stylish design well-combined with amazing features and functionalities. Besides high ranking and excellent design, the wheelchair is portable and can be conveniently folded to take anywhere.
The wheelchair supports 330lb weight and can offer you with lasting endurance and quality solutions. It is a safe choice for the users that take efficient safety into consideration. The wheelchair comes with stable rear wheels, footrest, and a joystick that is extremely convenient to use because of the efficient way it is built.
It is a highly durable product that is ideal for long-term use. It comes with shock absorbers and is a perfect choice for traveling by sea or air.
- Strong and Stable
- Enhanced Safety
- Improper Instructions on the Manual
Buying Guide to select the Best Wheelchair
A wheelchair is an ideal solution for those with impaired mobility, high age, or any ailment to increase freedom and add mobility. Presently, there are varieties of wheelchairs available allowing customers to select customize models as per their specific needs, requirements, and budget. The wheelchair buying guide will let you know everything about wheelchairs and the factors to consider when choosing it.
What is a Wheelchair?
A wheelchair is a chair with mobile wheels. It is a device that lets people sit and propel themselves manually, with the support of a caregiver, or through an automated system. If you have met with a psychological or physical illness, disability, or injury, the wheelchair can provide you greater independence and freedom.
Types of Wheelchairs
With the introduction of modern technology, it is possible to curate wheelchairs for virtually any need or situation. Here are the most common types of wheelchairs available in the market.
The non-electric wheelchair comes with manual transmission. They are propelled by pushing the wheels with the help of a caregiver. Since the wheelchair has no electronic parts or motorized components, they are quite inexpensive, easy to maintain, and usually lightweight. Because of their lightweight, they are easy to store and transport.
While these wheelchairs also come with manual transmission, what makes them unique is their wheel size. Unlike standard models, these wheelchairs have a bigger rear wheel and have four small wheels. But they need the support of a caregiver. Most of these wheelchairs are often used in medical offices, hospitals, malls, and airports.
The ultra-lightweight wheelchairs are particularly designed to let people perform active functionalities and be versatile to compete in sports, like tennis, marathons, or basketball. Such chairs have a low gravity center for enhanced stability and enable you to stop or alter directions swiftly.
Electric or Power wheelchairs are propelled by an electric motor or a battery. The wheelchair enables to you to regulate the speed as well as the direction of the device with a joystick or push button. Such wheelchairs are ideal for those with the limited upper strength of the body and mobility. It is because these wheelchairs can be customized for an extensive range of needs. For instance, some models can conveniently travel of raise up to enable you to climb stairs.
Such wheelchairs are a cross between a fully powered electric wheelchair and a manual wheelchair. The wheelchair comes with software-driven motors that respond to the amount of pressure applied to its wheels. Also, it offers more control while traveling over down inclines or rough surfaces.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Wheelchair
No matter which type of wheelchair you purchase, there are some common factors to consider before you make a final choice.
– Before you select among the various types of wheelchairs, make sure your purpose to use it is well-defined. How often, when, and where you use a wheelchair is a primary consideration when making a purchase. The standard wheelchairs are ideal for long-term use, while transport wheelchairs are ideal for short outings. Hence, do define your purpose before making the final decision.
– With adjustable armrests, it is possible to get closer to desks with ease. The removable or flip-back armrests make it convenient to get into and out of the wheelchair. If you sit long on your wheelchair, then make sure you pick one with comfortable armrests.
– If you use your wheelchair indoor as well as outdoor, then you would be moving with it on various rough terrains. In such a situation, you need a wheelchair braking system that enables you to stop suddenly without any jerk or discomfort. So, do check for the wheelchair’s braking
– Most of the seats of wheelchairs come in nylon or vinyl fabric. It is because such fabrics are most easy to clean. If you want to enhance the comfort even more, then you can add a cushion as well. Hence, pick a wheelchair that can provide you with all such benefits.
Weight Holding Capacity
– While standard wheelchairs have a weight holding capacity of around 200 to 259 pounds, the bariatric and heavy models come with reinforced frames and more comfortable seats. There are some special wheelchairs designed exclusively for obese people. Such models have a weight holding capacity of up to 700 pounds. Hence, make sure you pick a wheelchair that can easily accommodate your size as well as weight.
Width, Depth, and Height of Seat
– The electric, as well as manual wheelchairs, come in distinct widths to accommodate different types of body. The standard height of the seat is around 20 to 21 inches, which is appropriate for individuals of average height. Taller people must consider buying a wheelchair with more depth and height. If you are of a shorter height, you would want a shallower seat.
– Wheelchairs usually come with 5-inch fabric or vinyl seat that is sufficient for ideal use. Make sure the wheelchair comes with foam cushions and gel that is designed for maximum comfort. They are even great to correct postures and help present pressure ulcers.
– Most of the standard manual wheelchairs are collapsible and lightweight to fit well in a vehicle. For electric wheelchair models, you also have to consider the added expense of a van or lift.
– If you are moving your wheelchair outdoors, then it must be incorporated with adequate safety features. Hand brakes, anti-tip bars, and treaded tires are some of the important features that a wheelchair must possess.
– There are varieties of wheelchairs available at distinct prices. Hence, you would be able to find one within your budget. But make sure you don’t compromise on the quality and features.
The wheelchairs mentioned in our list are the top models and serve good value for money. Our list contains wheelchairs with manual as well as electric transmissions. Hence, you can pick a wheelchair that suits your requirements, fits well within your budget, and offers basic safety to the users.
Hope, we have shed the light on top WheelChairs. Apart from this Best Rated Docs has also written about Top Doctors in various specializations across various cities globally and also an Exhaustive Guide on Stethoscopes.
Dr. David Taylor is a medical professional and an avid blogger. He holds an M.D. from Drexel University & a Ph.D. from Indiana University School of Medicine.
Dr. David loves to utilize technology to improve healthcare and he does it daily through BestRatedDocs.com. He founded the company in 2016 with the vision to make the discoverability of the best healthcare facilities & best products simple and easy. His passion for informatics and using technology to empower healthcare professionals and the patients they serve is unmatched. He regularly blogs about technology, health IT, medical products and other healthcare topics at bestrateddocs.com.
Last updated on 2019-02-15 // Source: Amazon Affiliates