Best Otoscopes – Your Comprehensive Guide to Buy the One 
Whether you are a concerned parent or a medical practitioner, buying an otoscope can be a good idea. This small device helps to spot ear infections and other problems so that you can get appropriate treatment. There are numerous otoscopes available in the market, and it is difficult to decide which one is the best for you. While the basic functionality of such octoscopes is the same, they differ in features, performance, durability, and price. So, whether you want an otoscope for a specialized use or profession or want to buy a generic one, this post will tell you about the best octoscopes.
- 1 What is an Otoscope and What Does it Do?
- 2 Best Otoscope for Home Use
- 3 Best Otoscope for Medical Students
- 4 Best Otoscope for Physicians and Professionals
- 5 Best Cheap Otoscopes For The Budget Conscious
- 6 Best Digital Otoscopes
- 7 Best Otoscope Brands
- 8 Buying Guide – How to Pick the Best Otoscope?
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions on Otoscopes
- 10 Conclusion
What is an Otoscope and What Does it Do?
An otoscope, also known as auriscope is a specially designed medical device to diagnose ear for infections, inflammation, and other possible issues. Healthcare experts diagnose ear during regular checkups or during respiratory ailments, which can result in blockage of the ear path.
The doctor pulls the outer ear to straighten ear canal and then closely monitor the inside with the otoscope at the eardrum and canal walls, also known as tympanic membrane. Since the eardrum sits right between the middle ear and ear canal, changes to its appearance can indicate a big problem. While such devices are usually used by doctors only, caring parents can also use it at home, provided they know how to properly use it.
So, if you are searching for the best otoscope, then this post will tell you about the same. Here we list best otoscopes in general as well as best otoscopes for home use, medical students, medical professionals, physicians, and best digital otoscopes. Also, we will share a comprehensive buying guide to help you pick the best otoscope for your unique preferences. But before we move ahead, first let us know about the structure of an otoscope.
Structure and Function of an Otoscope
It is important to know about every element of the otoscope so that you can use it properly, without causing harm to your kid’s ear. Most of the popular otoscopes consists of a head and a handle. The head is empowered with a source of light that enables the doctor to have a clear view of the ear from inside.
The otoscope also incorporates a magnifying lens, which is usually around 8 diopters that gives you the opportunity to have a clearer view of the ear. Furthermore, the front of the otoscope has an attachment for disposable plastic ear specula. The main purpose of this design is to enable the examiner to easily straighten the ear canal and view the ear from inside.
It is vital to handle the otoscope and insert it carefully in the ear because they can be a source of an injury to the ear. For this reason, the examiners are strictly suggested to brace the handle of the otoscope against the head of the patient to avoid damage to the ear canal.
Once the otoscope is set on the patient’s ear, the examiner can now look further through a lens on the rear of the instrument. Though you can use a simple otoscope to view the ear canal of the patient, there are other advanced models available, which come with a removable lens. This facility enables the examiner to insert any other instrument with an otoscope to treat the patient. As a result, the patient can receive better treatment.
Otoscopes are used by general physicians, at home, and specialized medical professionals. So, let’s check out the best otoscopes under various categories.
Best Otoscope for Home Use
Parents at home can take a more active role in ensuring their children health with an otoscope. The device can be used to identify potential problems in ears, especially when children feel discomfort due to their ears. Otoscope at home can help to identify ear infections at any early stage, and hence, treatment can be taken accordingly and the problem is cured fast. Otoscopes come in different quality and prices. Here, we list the best otoscopes for home use that would sure exceed your expectations.
Doctor Mom Pocket Pro
- NOW with Soft white (more yellow incandescent spectrum like halogen) LED light (since fall of 2017). No longer the older bright white LED with a bluish tint. LED is shock resistant, easy on battery life, and should never need a replacement
- Solid very good quality otoscope with optical glass lens that offers real value.
- Includes weblink with 30 high resolution photos of eardrum pathology along with use instructions written by an ER physician with many years experience looking into ears.
- Uses standard disposable specula including Welch Allyn type which are the most common found in clinics and hospitals. Comes complete with both a large and small size for use in adults and children. Large round optical quality scratch resistant GLASS lens that gives a crystal clear look inside the ear. Simply unscrew the otoscope head to use as a very bright throat illuminator or all-purpose penlight
- 100% Forever Guarantee Covers ANY Issue for as long as you own our otoscope.- This item is built tough and meant to last and that is why we can guarantee it forever from Dr Mom Otoscopes the first home use otoscope company with a 20 year history. We will always make things right if you have any problems, defects, or issues with this otoscope.
In addition to being reliable, it is equally elegant and is engineered with optical components made out of glass. Buying it would give you separate specula tips for both children and adults, making it more versatile. The best part is the lens is removable and you can clean it whenever you feel like.
- LED light lasts a lifetime
- Easy on battery consumption
- You get a web link featuring ear pathology
- Lens is removable and can be cleaned
- Glass lens gives a clear image of what you examine
- It works well with standard specula models
- You can unscrew its head to use it as an illuminator
- Comes in a soft pouch, which is not much durable
Pocketscope Otoscope by Welch Allyn
Being too compact in size it can perfectly slip into your pocket and can be stored conveniently. The washable speculum tip makes it versatile unit ideal for children and adult use. With 3 times more magnification, this unit is available at an affordable price, and hence, can be a perfect addition to your at-home medical kit.
- 3 times more magnification
- Fiber optic digital bright LED light
- Washable speculum tip
- Versatile unit ideal for all ages
- High-quality handle
- Utilizes double A batteries
- Premium quality
- Durable structure
- Lens are non-removable
Notoco Otoscope 1202
Also, you would get a vinyl carrying pouch, which makes it a portable product. If there is need of replacement, then you can always make an order online. This model is cost-effective and guarantees to deliver long-lasting service.
- Double-focus adjustable light
- Three different specula tips of different sizes
- Vinyl carrying pouch
- Easy utilization
- Lightweight and user-friendly
- Replacement tips easily available online
- Delivers moderate efficiency
Best Otoscope for Medical Students
Medical students need an otoscope to examine the ear as well as study the ear and its functions. Being a student, an otoscope is needed to understand the correct way to diagnose ear infections and suggest a treatment accordingly. For this reason, they require otoscopes which are fully functional, slim, lightweight, portable, and durable. So, based on such requirements here we list the top otoscopes for medical students.
ADC Diagnostix 5111NS
The unit comes with two specula sizes and a soft case, which allows you to carry the product everywhere without worrying about damage. It is a lightweight model available at cost-efficient norms. It is equipped with high-quality optical components, so you can look at crystal clear images of the canal and eardrum.
- Convenient and Portable
- Equipped with standard AA batteries
- Easy Operation
- Two specula of different sizes
- Soft case for carrying
- High-quality optical components
- Crystal clear magnification
- Not much durable body
Mom LED Pro Otoscope – 5th Generation
- 100% Forever Guarantee Covers ANY Issue for as long as you own our otoscope.- This item is built tough and meant to last and that is why we can guarantee it forever from Dr Mom Otoscopes the first home use otoscope company with a 20 year history
- Uses STANDARD disposable specula including the Welch Allyn brand found in most clinics and hospitals.
- This model has our Largest Optical Quality GLASS scratch resistant Lens plus an Insufflation Outlet! Includes 30 High resolution eardrum photos and detailed use instructions provided via a weblink
- Powered by 2 C cell batteries for a very bright long lasting light.
- .Included Disposable Specula LARGE Size for Adults 4.75mm and SMALL Size for Children and Infants 2.75mm . Works well with standard disposable specula including Welch Allyn
The otoscope is made of durable materials, and hence, you can rely on it for a long time. It comes with a complete kit including 2 specula sizes for children and adults. Also, the optical lens is fairly good quality allowing users to clearly see the tympanic membrane. Since it comes from the popular Dr. Mom otoscope series, hence you don’t have to worry about the quality and performance.
- Built tough unit meant for lasting use
- Best quality optical glass
- Scratch-resistant lens
- Available with a weblink for detailed use instructions
- Disposable specula for kids and adults
- Easy to use
- Slightly pricey
SPECv3 Fiber Optic
- CLARITY - The ideal ear scope with light. The SPECv3 Otoscope uses a powerful BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT with CRC (Color Rendition Correction) and TRUE TISSUE COLOR. Inspect the eardrum with a clear view of the Tympanic Membrane using 360° fiber optics for long-lasting illumination. Suitable for professional, home and veterinary use. PERFECT adult and pediatric otoscope at an affordable price. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
- QUALITY - The only FDA approved Otoscope on Amazon. Make doctor visits and check ups a thing of the past by spotting infections. The SPECv3 is physician grade with no need for a bulky lithium battery powered otoscope. Professional, lightweight and ready for use at HOME, WORK or MEDICAL SCHOOL. Brass metal body and polymer head manufactured to the highest standards. NOT cheap ABS plastic. 100% Quality Assured
- VISION - Precise and compact magnification lens allows you to SEE inside the ear. 3x magnified detachable lens for easy cleaning with built-in insufflation valve. An otoscope set for all individuals and families! Ideal to view ear wax, objects inside the ear and infections before they get worse. This ear scope gives 30% greater field of view than conventional pneumatic otoscopy.
- PORTABLE - Hard case with soft foam padding to ensure the SPECv3 is secure and ready for use NOW with 20 x reusable high quality plastic speculum including NEW children sizes. Lightweight and pocket friendly for students and specialists. A great addition to your otoscope ophthalmoscope set. Includes user guide e-book with every purchase!
- POWER - The SPECv3 is powered by 2x AA Alkaline batteries (Not Included). High power alkaline disposable or rechargeable batteries recommended for MAXIMUM OUTPUT. No wires. Simply insert the batteries and the unit is ready for your examinations. Easy-to-use, practical and super efficient light output coupled with a magnified scope allows for clear and concise checks in medical practice.
It comes in different sizes of specula tips meant for people of all ages and thereby making it a truly versatile model. Moreover, it is an affordable unit engineered with the highest quality materials and equipped with easy to use mechanisms. So, if you are looking out for a usable device that can help you with your medical studies then this one is surely the best.
- Excellent clarity allowing to view the ear canal with ease
- Powerful white light to witness true tissue color
- Tympanic membrane with 360Degree fiber optics for lasting illumination
- FDA approved quality
- Lightweight and professional equipment ready for use
- Brass metal body
- Built-in insufflation valve
- Practical and super-efficient
- Hard case with soft foam padding
- A little expensive, but worth investing
Best Otoscope for Physicians and Professionals
Otoscopes are important for physicians and medical professionals as they are used to screen for illness and to diagnose ear symptoms. Medical professionals are extremely particular with their tools and do not want to ever compromise on quality, performance, and durability of the product. The items mentioned in our list are the best otoscopes in terms of essential features like quality of the materials, clarity, vision options, and portability characteristics. These items are easy to use and offer the best diagnostics to the patients.
RA Bock Diagnostics AmzPro
- NEW RA Bock 3.2V Bright White LED OTOSCOPE SET includes DISPOSABLE SPECULA ADAPTOR and 3 sizes of reuseable specula plus Zippered Leathette Case
- Scratch resistant glass lens 5X magnification.
- Includes DISPOSABLE SPECULA ADAPTOR - Disposable Specula work with our otoscope - reduce risk of spreading infection!
- Beautiful and durable Chrome plated Brass construction.
- Uses 2 standard C batteries, re-chargeble's also work well.
It functions on the basis of fiber optic LED lighting technology, which makes it a professional and reliable accessory for physicians who need to diagnose patients regularly. It allows visualization of true tissue color thereby offering more clarity. Hence, you can check difficult to reach parts of the ear canal.
- 360-degree fiber optic technology
- Long-lasting illumination
- Visualizes true tissue color
- Fiber optic LED lighting
- Professional lenses
- Based on the latest technology
- Perfect for daily use
- Cannot handle severe impacts
- Not easy to handle and store
Welch Allyn WEL22820
You don’t have to worry about carrying a heavy product as this one is lightweight. Further, it features a sealed utility system for pneumatic otoscope functions and also offer a proper wide-angle lens that enables instrumentation under magnification. In all, it is a small, simple, and convenient unit with bright halogen lights and a built-in throat illuminator.
- Features Halogen lights
- Allows you to view tympanic membrane
- Delivers long-lasting illumination feature
- Detachable flexible head
- Ideal for wide variety of purposes
- Sealed system of the pneumatic otoscope
- Smaller than other products
- Halogen light inferior to LED light technology
Dr. Mom LED Pocket Otoscope
It comes in a zipper EVA storage hard case that is durable and designed to offer convenient storage. Most importantly, using this stethoscope is pretty safe. The design is free from edges and even won’t scratch the ear of the patient during diagnosis. It is a lightweight and easy to use a product that is portable and can be carried along to places,
- Excellently designed device that can precisely gauge the problem
- Replaceable parts available online
- LED display light ensure proper testing
- Moderately priced product
- Easy to use
- Durable body
- Not available with protective cover
Best Cheap Otoscopes For The Budget Conscious
Quality is an important factor when it comes to select the best otoscopes that you can use. However, the price of the product is also a vital feature to consider. If you cannot afford to spend fortune on an otoscope but still wish to purchase one that is reliable and functions well, then here we list the best and most reliable options under your budget to help you sort things easily. Here we list the best cheap otoscopes that include all important features for use.
3rd Generation Dr. Mom Slimline Stainless Steel Pocket Otoscope
- NOW with Soft white (more yellow incadescant spectrum like halogen) LED light (since fall of 2017) . No longer the older bright white LED with bluish tint. LED is shock resistant, easy on battery life, and should never need a replacement
- Weblink with 30 high resolution photos of eardrum pathology along with use instructions
- Includes 3 sizes of specula 4mm for adults, 3mm for children, and 2.5mm for infants. Additional specula are available in packs of 60 from Amazon and our website.
- 100% Forever Guarantee Covers ANY Issue for as long as you own our otoscope.- This item is built tough and meant to last and that is why we can guarantee it forever from Dr Mom Otoscopes the first home use otoscope company with a 20 year history
- Solid very good quality otoscope that offers real value.
It comes with specula of different sizes that allow you to diagnose patients of different ages. Moreover, you can even diagnose the earliest signs of ear infections in the crystal-clear form. With professional lenses that are easy to use and clean, it is a practical product ideal for all medical professionals.
- Outstanding Performance
- Durable stainless steel body
- Highly resistant to impact
- Based on full spectrum LED light technology
- Enables clear display of extraordinarily correct images
- Ideal for children, adults, and infants
- Attractive design
- LED Clamshells need to be regularly clean
RA Bock Diagnostics Pro-Oto
- Optical quality GLASS lens that will not scratch and become dull over time like a plastic lens
- 3.2 Volt Professional Diagnostic Otoscope with Bright WHITE LED and upgraded HARD CASE!
- Mid-sized professional otoscope. Perfect size and weight for mom's who want to check children's ears
- Quality construction made from durable chrome plated brass and not cheap ABS plastic
- Big performance at an affordable price
It gives access to LED light technology and comes with lenses that are easy to clean and well-maintained for proper use. Also, it is a moderate weight unit that comes with a soft case, and hence, is easy to carry. It is true value for money and perfect to meet reliable emergency diagnostic with ease.
- Equipped with glass lenses
- Highest levels of optical quality
- Does not scratches easily
- In-built LED light technology
- Resembles daylight to not disturb the patient
- Allows crystal clear images
- Not meant for ultra-professional clinics
Fiber Optic Otoscope
- zzzRT tarders
- Health and Beauty
The resistant glass lenses and bright light capability make it easy to manage the job. It is easy to clean and does not need any complex instructions to follow. It comes with an instruction manual that explains all the functionalities and displays clear images that help you establish reliable initial diagnostics.
- A portable product
- High-quality otoscope
- Operates on the basis of the latest fiber optic technology
- Displays high-quality images
- Reliable product
- Not suitable for in-depth analysis
Best Digital Otoscopes
Teslong Digital Otoscope USB EarScope Otology Inspection Camera with 6 LED Lights
- 👂 When you feel itchy or uncomfortable with your ears, use Teslong otoscope to simply check your ear to see if there is insect, foreign matter, or inflammation in them. The product is an indispensable household tool
- 👂 You can check your ears on your own with a PC or an Android smart phone. In this way, you will not need to seek help from others. You can also save images or videos of the mirror and send them to your doctor for guidance
- 👂 Adoption of new technologies black probe,avoid dazzling image.With the new uploaded light sensitive camera module and 6 adjustable LED lights,will be much more easier to view your ear canal.
- 👂 We improved the production technology, the waterproof grade of this otoscope camera probe is IP67, you can clean it with water or wipe with alcohol, this would be much more clean and sanitary
- 👂 Teslong is a manufacturer of professional inspection cameras. This product includes: a digital otoscope, 4x speculum, a USB adapter, a type-C adapter, User Manual and a 12-month warranty
The speculums are not disposable but they are of extremely high-quality and can be used to diagnose patients of all ages. It is a bright light model, but may not be able to deliver the performance that you can receive from other models. If you are looking for a digital otoscope at an affordable price, then this one is definitely an ideal choice.
- Scratch-resistant magnification lens
- Comes with hard case
- Full-size model
- 6 LED Lights
- Check ears with Android phones
- Ideal for kids, adults, and elders
- Affordable price
- Delivers bright light
- An indispensable home tool
- Non-disposable speculums
- Bright light might not be as bright as other models
ENTO Digital Otoscope
- [ Why 1080P is more expensive? ] Three Revolutionary software update! 1) the Camera Focal distance is 3.14in~19.7in( 8~50 cm), this is better than before endoscope, which is 4~6 cm. And you see clearer in a long distance. 2) App update zoom in and out, rotate view function. It's very convenient for you to inspect some areas such as cable in pipes, machine parts, circuit board more clearly and accurately. 3) 1080P (1980*1080P,16:9) solution.
- [ Special Bonus ] Provided a function Stick to you as special gift. Like Selfie Stick, function stick let you check any corner more Handy.
- [ Upgrade Class ] 8 LED!! IP68 Waterproof!!! A turning wheel to adjust the brightness of eight LED lights, not afraid dark area. IP68 Waterproof Camera, can inspect area under water. It Can take Photo, video Via APP, convenience to use. All make Pancellent camera be your borescope.
- [ IPEX Antenna Wireless ] Build in IPEX Antenna with Strong Signal. Support Android Smartphone(Above Android 4.2) iPhone IOS devices(Above IOS 8.0) Also Flexible Cable (Semi-rigid Cable) have more benefit, like take more heavy items, check variety place with different shape.
- [ Ideal Instrument Tool ] for intraoral camera system, underwater camera, waterproof Micro-cameras, motor vehicle detector, sewer pipeline detector, search and rescue, criminal and custom detector, archaeological detect, the PCB detection, home care, aviation and space industries, care and tractors industries, petroleum drilling industries, constructions and so on.
It is one of the finest models to diagnose health problems before they turn severe. Additionally, you can use the pictures to compare. It comes with 5.5mm digital camera that is small enough to fit conveniently inside the ear canal of children and adults. Most importantly, the 6 LED lights lining the camera tip offers plenty of light to view inflammation and obstructions in the ear. It is easy to clean and is one of the affordable choices available for use.
- 3-megapixel camera with 640×480 resolutions
- Affordable USB otoscope
- Hard case for easy portability
- Digital camera compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 10, and more
- Plug and play compatibility
- Allows saving of videos and pictures of ear, throat, and nose
- Resistant to water and soap
- Easy to maintain
- Usable with PC with a USB Port
- Built-in LED
- One-touch control button
- Need basic training before use
KZYEE Wireless Otoscope Wi-Fi Digital Ear Scope 1080P HD Ear Inspection Camera
- 【The Newest Dual-display APP Function】----Based on the latest dual- image display app technology, this otoscope app can sync show 2 different images at the same time, give your a more clear and intuitive image comparision between past and real-time. Thus you are easy to know your ear/nose health condition and get effective treatment timely.
- 【1080P HD Visual Ear Camera】----With this 1080P 2.0 megapixels wireless otoscope,you can enjoy a wonderful experience to capture HD video smoothly and get a clear and sharp full screen image. NOTICE: Its best observation focus distance to the object is 0.59-1.18inch(1.5-3cm).
- 【6pcs Adjustable LED Lights】----Equipped with 6pcs LEDs on the camera tip, you can gain more clearly images or videos by the adjustable button to improve brightness in dark or low light condition such in tympanic membrane checking.
- 【Protective Specula Sleeves】----Our otoscope comes with four specular tips in different size, which are heat-resistant even using it for a long time and perfect for whole family. Besides, the biggest adapter can work as a mini microscope for obversation like checking facial object such as skin,hair and ant.
- 【WiFi Connection】----Built with WiFi transmission, Our digital ear scope supports hotspot connection, not only can work with Android smartphone or tablet(Above Android 2.3), but also iPhone IOS devices(Above IOS 6.0). Just download and install the app"Otoscope" (NOT OtoscopeApp)from google play or App store, then connect to the hotspot "Jetion_***" generated by the Otoscope.
With a camera of 1080P HD, this wireless otoscope captures HD video smoothly and allows getting sharp and clear full-screen image. In addition to this, it incorporates 6 adjustable LED light on the camera tip, which allows gaining more precise and clear videos and images by the adjustable button to enhance brightness in low or dark light condition. The otoscope is built-in with Wi-Fi transmission and comes with 4 specula tips in distinct sizes, which are heat resistant even when using it for a long time and suitable for the entire family.
- Protective specula sleeves
- Wide compatibility with Android or Tablet
- 6pcs Adjustable LED lights
- 1080P HD Visual Ear Camera
- Dual-display APP function
- Easy to Use
- Adjustable brightness for low and dark light conditions
- Great to capture snapshot and inspection
- Slightly expensive
Best Otoscope Brands
You can always pick the top models from a reputed brand to ensure you get the best quality. But if you are unable to make a choice, then you can purchase otoscope from the most prestigious brands like Welch Allyn, American Diagnostic Corporation, Heine Mini, Depstech Digital, RA Bock Diagnostics, and Bionix.
Buying Guide – How to Pick the Best Otoscope?
There are different types of otoscopes available on the market, and it is difficult for you to decide which one is perfect for you. The price of such otoscopes also differs, which can confuse you. Hence, we have gathered some basic information regarding the tips you can consider so that you can find the appropriate otoscope for yourself. We have recently added a post on some tips to buy the right otoscope, do check it out.
The smallest otoscope is the size of a pen including a clip that allows the user to hold the otoscope in your pocket. Small size otoscopes are much lighter than full-size models.
The construction of small size otoscopes is not as robust as it is with larger otoscopes. So, when you select the size of the otoscope, you must consider the environment where you would be using it. Otoscopes with bigger size are ideal for hospitals while smaller ones are ideal for personal use.
Additionally, you must consider the type of patients you would be dealing with. It is because smaller otoscopes are used for children, while larger ones are perfect for adults and elders. The weight of the otoscope is also an important factor to consider when buying this device.
- Features and Functions
Another vital factor to consider is the features of an otoscope. A standard otoscope is incorporated with a magnifying lens and a lamp that allows you to get a look inside the ear. There are some models available with removable lens, which is best-suited for examiners who want to use otoscope with a flexible lens.
In addition to this, there are various models available that allow pneumatic otoscopy with an additional port for an insufflation bulb. Also, some otoscope models come with the macro viewer with a standard head that helps to enhance the magnification up to 4 times.
- Power Source
Another paramount feature of otoscope is its power. The otoscope can have three different sources of power – disposal batteries, rechargeable battery option, and a power source.
Otoscopes with disposal batteries are the most commonly used options as they make the otoscope portable. Otoscopes come with A4 size batteries that have to be changed regularly. Otoscopes with other types of batteries offer more flexibility in working.
Otoscopes with rechargeable battery option are the highest in demand as it allows the user to use a single set of batteries for an extended time duration. The users can recharge one battery while the other is in use.
Otoscopes with a power source are available with a standard control option. Such otoscopes might not be easy to use but otoscopes with permanent wires have a bracket wall-mounting along the transformer for power supply.
- Light Source / Bulb Type
It is essential that you got the perfect light source for your otoscope. Otoscopes can have varying light sources, like halogen, LED bulb, xenon, and more. Also, you must select an otoscope with a direct light source and an indirect source of light, or fiber optic.
Otoscopes with fiber optics help to direct the light from LED bulb or lamp. This helps the light to directly enter into the car canal and offer better clarity of inside the ear.
- Reusable or Disposable Specula
Another essential factor to consider before buying an otoscope is to decide whether the examiner needs an otoscope with a disposable or a reusable speculum. Most of the otoscope models come with both the options, but it depends mainly on you that what type of otoscope you wish to buy.
It is wise to select an otoscope that is versatile and suitable for pediatric and adult use.
Do pick an otoscope considering your budget. Medical students and parents can pick a simple otoscope that is cost-efficient, but medical professionals need to pick an otoscope, which is highly efficient, even though if it is expensive.
Last but not the least you can always select your preferred color of the otoscope. Sure, the device is going to be used for medical purposes, but you can always select a color that appears good and classy.
Frequently Asked Questions on Otoscopes
- What is the primary purpose of an otoscope? An ear examination is a part of the routine physical examination by a nurse or doctor. Also, it is done when an ear infection or another kind of ear issue is suspected. An otoscope enables the doctor to look into the ear canal and clearly see the eardrum.
- What is the difference between Pro Fiber-optic LED otoscope and a traditional otoscope with a halogen bulb? A Pro Fiber-optic LED Otoscope is the first professional otoscope with the LED light source. The biggest benefit of an LED light source over other otoscopes, which uses halogen or incandescent light sources is that LED bulb does not contain a fragile filament. Also, the LED light source lasts forever and will not get damaged by dropping rough handling, or sudden movement. Also, the LED light source is much brighter and incorporates a full spectrum light rather than a yellowish light present in incandescent light sources.
- What does an ear infection appear through an otoscope? The infection in the ear appears like a fluid in the ear through an otoscope. If the Eustachian tube in the ear gets blocked, fluid develops inside the middle ear. This creates a perfect breeding space for bacteria that can cause further infections. The otoscope can blow a light puff of air to make the eardrum vibrate.
- Is it possible to see the inner ear through an otoscope? This is possible with a pneumatic otoscope, which is a specialized instrument used by doctors who need to make a diagnosis of the ear infection. If there is fluid in the inner ear, your doctor will witness no or little movement of the eardrum.
- How to use the otoscope to look into child’s ear? If your child is younger than 12 months, you can pull the ear gently straight back. This would straighten the ear canal and make it simple for you to see inside. Now, hold the otoscope from the handle with your pinky finger outstretched. Rest your pinky finger on your child’s cheek while carefully placing the instrument in the ear canal.
While small children tend to be highly vulnerable to ear infections, elders and adults can get them too. An otoscope can help to check the condition before it becomes severe and complicated. No matter what medical profession you are in, an otoscope can be an excellent tool to perform ear checks. So, consider buying an otoscope for your home or clinic as there is a perfect option available for all!
Dr. David Taylor is a medical professional and an avid blogger. He holds an M.D. from Drexel University & a Ph.D. from Indiana University School of Medicine.
Dr. David loves to utilize technology to improve healthcare and he does it daily through BestRatedDocs.com. He founded the company in 2016 with the vision to make the discoverability of the best healthcare facilities & best products simple and easy. His passion for informatics and using technology to empower healthcare professionals and the patients they serve is unmatched. He regularly blogs about technology, health IT, medical products and other healthcare topics at bestrateddocs.com.
Last updated on 2019-06-17 // Source: Amazon Affiliates