10 Best ECG Monitors: Buyers Guide with Brand Reviews, Prices, And FAQS
The heart pumps blood to different parts of the body throughout our life, every second, every day. What this means is, in a 24 hour day, the heart pumps over 2000 gallons of blood by beating approximately 100,000 times. It is essential to keep your heart beats in check to make sure there are no problems, and it is necessary to have the best ECG monitors to do the job. It is crucial to make sure the timing of the beats are in line with what is healthy. We already know that heart disease is a leading cause of death around the world. Thus, it is vital to understand how we can keep it in check.
There are different signs to look out for when identifying heart problems. The most prominent of them is the irregular heartbeat. Doctors analyze the heartbeat rhythm and determine what the problem with the heart is. Different health issues, including high blood pressure and diabetes, can be monitored using an ECG. Some of the best ECG monitors available online can provide your doctor with information that can help in an emergency. Many of these products come in different sizes and are very convenient for everyday use. The newer products are very accurate and can store readings for later use. The ECG has helped millions of people, and no matter who you are, it is always better to have a portable ECG.
- 1 What are ECG Monitors?
- 2 The Best ECG Monitor Brands To Look Out For Online
- 3 Our Top 10 recommendations –
- 4 Best Budget ECG Monitor
- 5 Best Portable ECG Monitor
- 6 Best ECG Monitors for Sports Enthusiasts
- 7 Best Multi User ECG Monitor
- 8 Best ECG Monitor for Home Use
- 9 Best ECG Monitors For The Elderly
- 10 Best ECG Monitor for Medical professionals
- 11 How Does An ECG/EKG Monitor Work
- 12 Reading ECG Results
- 13 Wearables: The Best Modern Day ECG Devices
- 14 ECG vs. EKG
- 15 Buyers Guide To The Best ECG Monitors Online
- 16 Physical Features –
- 17 Additional Benefits
- 18 Essential Things to Consider With The Best ECG Monitors
- 19 FAQS
- 20 Final Verdict
What are ECG Monitors?
The Electrocardiogram or ECG is a device used to measure a person’s heartbeat. It works as a lifesaver for people facing heart problems and is a wonderful device to keep your health in check. The best ECG monitors provide readings that determine if your heart is functioning correctly or if you have issues with your health. The most commonly known way the device functions is by giving an electric pattern on a blank page. The device records your heart’s electrical activity on a graph, which doctors denote as the ‘P wave.’ Today, the portable ECG monitor allows you to check your heartbeat quickly, without needing to go to a doctor or clinic. Also, some of the best ECG monitors available online have apps, wifi and Bluetooth connectivity which are very useful for readings.
The devices come in all shapes and sizes. From watches to your mobile, you can sync these devices and secure, accurate readings. These devices are easy to use, and there are different devices for children and adults. The reason the portable ECG has become so important is that it reduces the time factor during an emergency. They are also suitable for sports enthusiasts because you can keep your heart rate in check during a workout. This way, the athletes know if they are pushing themselves too much or too little. It keeps their health balanced.
The Best ECG Monitor Brands To Look Out For Online
1) CONTEC Portable ECG/EKG Monitor – This ECG is convenient and easy to use anywhere. It has Bluetooth and unlimited storage space.
2) Facelake FL20 Portable ECG/EKG Monitor – Here comes a device that wins in style and performance. With the on-screen display, the device is unmatched in its range.
3) OXPROVO Portable EKG/ECG Heart Monitoring Device – An accurate and super light ECG that makes it way to our list of the best devices online.
4) Polar H10 Heart Rate Monitor – For sportsmen and women, this device offers a very accurate reading throughout your workout with its water-resistant and durable body.
5) Sportline Cardio 630 Women's Grey Monitor – Strap it on, and get moving! This ECG is a great way to keep check of your heart rate during a good workout.
6) EMAY Portable EKG Monitor – Probably one of the best ECG monitors on the list, it allows multiple users to store data and is great for the entire family.
7) Heal Force Prince 180B – Its easy to handle and very light. You can carry this device around anywhere and expect the best results. It also comes with cables and accessories.
8) EMAY Personal EKG Monitor – EMAY makes a device that is both light and easy to use. The tool is excellent for immediate readings, especially for the elderly.
9) AliveCor Kardia Mobile Personal EKG – Once you connect this device to your mobile, the results are astoundingly accurate. You can also send the E-mail with the results to your doctors with a single click.
10) Mascarello HEAL FORCE PC-80B – This device is easily one of the best ECG Monitors on our list and comes with three cables for reliable readings.
Our Top 10 recommendations –
Best Budget ECG Monitor
1) CONTEC Portable ECG/EKG Monitor PC Software Electrocardiogram Bluetooth Heart Rate Beat LCD Monitor PM10
If you are on a budget and are looking for good accuracy, the Contec portable ECG monitor is the best choice for you. Just because the device is a little more economical, it should not affect your decision on purchase. It is on top of our recommendation list because it fits the bill. The device is easy to use and can save an unlimited number of recordings. There is no subscription charge. You can easily share your data with your doctor by uploading it to your computer and E-mailing the reading.
- Unlimited storage
- No additional Fees
- Bright Screen Display
- Compatible with Windows 7/ 8 and 10
- Easy to use
- Can detect 12 cardiac situations
- Compatible with IOS
- Results obtained in 30 seconds flat
- The is a device for home use only. It is not a medical device.
Best Portable ECG Monitor
2) Facelake FL20 Portable ECG/EKG Monitor, MD100B
Having a portable ECG monitor can be useful for people who want a heart reading in a gym, or for elderly people who are traveling. The stylish new Facelake Portable ECG is an excellent device that offers a bright display and fast measurements in just 30 seconds. You can upload the results on a computer or mobile and send them to your doctor instantly. This product is on our list of the Best ECG Monitors because it can store upto a 24 hours recording. The device allows you to choose the duration of the process from 30 seconds or more. There are no added fees for any of the product’s features.
- Accurate readings
- Bright on-screen display
- Connects to computer and mobile
- Modern Design
- Small and portable
- Ten days of heart rate data storage
- 24-hour measurement results
- Easy to Operate
- Slightly more expensive than the other devices in its category
- Before using this monitor, Please check the video to make sure the ECG monitor is used properly. Small, portable and easy to operate
- Fast measurement in just 30 seconds, Measurement results could be uploaded to PC by USB mode
- Measurement of one channel ECG anytime, anywhere you like, Display of ECG waveform, heart rate, analysis results and battery status on the backlight LCD
- 24 hour records of ECG Strips, each record with 30-second ECG waveform and analysis result
- Note:This is an ECG Monitor for family/home use,not a medical device.It is wellness,and For OTC(Over the counter)
3) OXPROVO Portable EKG/ECG Heart Monitoring Devices with Software Compatible with Windows ＆ Mac Detects AFib Bradycardia and Tachycardia in 30 seconds
Oxprovo has a sleek portable EKG device that monitors your heart rate in 30 seconds flat. The device is small and convenient to use at home. You can record your heart rate anywhere at any time. Also, the device provides a medically, accurate reading that can be used later. Place your finger on the device for seconds, and the process begins – that how easy it is. There are no additional costs, such as subscriptions. Besides all these points, you can use the Oxprovo app and connect the device to your smartphone for other features.
- Easy to Use
- No additional costs
- Has Bluetooth
- Connects to a computer, runs on Windows 7/ 8 and 10
- Connects to a mobile
- Needs to be charged for 15 minutes before use
- Does not have sufficient battery life
Best ECG Monitors for Sports Enthusiasts
4) Polar H10 Heart Rate Monitor for Men and Women, ANT + Bluetooth, ECG/EKG – Waterproof HR Sensor with Chest Strap (NEW)
The Polar H10 is a revolutionary new product that allows you to monitor your heart rate anywhere you go. It is one of the best ECG monitors specific to sports. For athletes and sports enthusiasts, this device is easy to use lets you know when you take a step back. The device is and ECG around your body, just below your chest. It is a belt that you can connect to your phone and analyze through the Polar app. It has Bluetooth and can access how much your heart rate has increased or decreased by and is great for sports.
- Accurate Readings
- Easy to use
- Connects to a phone
- Can be used for sports
- Software Updates round the clock
- Compatible with Android
- Noted problems connecting to IOS
- Not suitable for Medical use
5) Sportline Cardio 630 Women’s Grey Monitor Watch With ECG Accurate Heart Rate (HR) watch with Chest Strap HR Monitor
For women in sports and fitness, this device is perfect for monitoring your heart rate. You don’t need to lose focus from your workout as the watch does the job for you. Sportline boasts of Heart Rate accuracy that changes the game. This device has a watch that connects to a chest strap and is great for workout routines. It even works in the pool because it’s water-resistant. The device is easy to use and continuously reads your HR. It also has a backlight and comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Easy to Use
- Great Design
- 5 Year warranty
- Has a backlight for dim settings
- Great for working out
- Cannot be connected to a phone or mobile
- Not suitable for medical use
- Only useable during a workout for immediate reading
Best Multi User ECG Monitor
6) EMAY Portable EKG Monitor | Wireless EKG Monitoring Device with iOS & Android App | Personal ECG Rhythm & Heart Rate Monitor for Home Use | Works with Smartphone and PC
In a household with multiple people, especially elders, it is important to have an EKG monitor that can record the rate of multiple people at a time. It is not easy to keep folders in a computer each time. And having a device that stores multiple readings is a convenience. EMAY brings you one of the best ECG monitors, with every necessary function and feature available today. This device is a favorite and has great reviews because it is not only accurate but also very reliable. The device has a bright display, and you can efficiently operate it in the dark. Besides the LED screen, you can connect it to your phone or computer. It supports multiple users and is great for the entire family.
- Supports multiple users
- Easy to Use
- Bright LED display
- Compact and Lightweight
- Can be used by adults and children
- Connects to mobiles or computers
- Compatible with IOS and Android
- Great user support
- Has Bluetooth and cable connection
Best ECG Monitor for Home Use
7) Heal Force Prince 180B Easy Handheld Portable Unit with 3-Lead Cable & Electrodes & USB Cable
Having an EKG monitor at home can reduce the time spent going to a clinic or hospital for a heart rate reading. These devices are economical and available for everyone. This device is thorough and very accurate. Heal Force gives you a 30-second waveform analysis that you can use anywhere at any time. You can store upto 1200 recordings and 20 hours of recordings continuously. With 17 different types of waveforms, this device makes its way to our list of the best ECG Monitors available online. It’s easy to use, convenient to carry, and very compact. It also shuts down automatically if required.
- Compact and lightweight
- Stores 1200 recordings
- Over 20 hours of recording capacity
- 10 hours of battery life
- Runs on Batteries
- 17 Measurement types
- Easy to Operate
- Uploads data wirelessly
- Does not come with batteries
Best ECG Monitors For The Elderly
8) EMAY Personal EKG Monitor | Records ECG & Heart Rate Anytime Anywhere | Software Works with Macbook & Windows PC
An EKG is essential when you have elders in your home. You need to monitor their heart rate in order to be ready in the event of an emergency. It also helps your doctor understand the situation and work faster. By using this device, you can quickly get a reading in 30 seconds. It is easy to use as all you have to do it hold it in your hands and let the process begin. The device is small and convenient for older adults. It has no additional costs and has a bright display. You can connect the device to your computer and send a reading to your doctor instantly.
- Easy to use
- Bright screen for using in the dark
- Easy to carry
- Accurate readings
- Connects to a computer
- Known for battery life
- This device does not replace 12 lead ECG readings. Only suitable for immediate readings.
9) AliveCor Kardia Mobile Personal EKG | FDA-Cleared | Detects AFib
For elders, the AliveCor Personal ECG is a good choice. It lets your doctor understand your heart health and you can do it in the convenience of your home. AliveCor is a brand that you can trust in and has never disappointed its users. The device is known as an EKG on the go. It stores readings on your mobile, and you can send them to your doctor with the press of a button. It’s so easy to use! This device works with any smartphone and is very light. Additionally, you can carry the equipment anywhere.
- Trustable Brand
- Known for accuracy
- Very easy to use
- One press E-mail to doctors
- 30 seconds results
- Requires a smartphone to work.
Best ECG Monitor for Medical professionals
10) Mascarello HEAL FORCE PC-80B Handheld Color ECG EKG Portable Heart Monitor 50x Electrode US
For doctors and medical professionals, it is important to carry portable devices that not only get the job done, but get it done right. The Mascarello Heal Force EKG is precisely the device you need as a medical professional to make sure there are no mistakes. By working in real-time storage, this device is on our list for the best ECG monitors available online. You can store up to 24 hours of data, and it comes with five cables. You can secure a fast analysis by single or ful lead. Additionally, the device is compact and can be carried anywhere. The readings appear on a large screen and can be used even in the dark.
- Three cables included
- Good battery life
- Single or full lead analysis
- Compact device
- Bright Screen
- Good for instant readings
- Comes with a USB cable for connecting to a computer
- The device cannot be connected to a phone
How Does An ECG/EKG Monitor Work
When your heart beats, it sends electrical signals in the form of vibrations from under your skin. The ECG can trace this beat and determine the heartbeat rate. Trained professionals, doctors, and nurses can understand the health status of your heart by reading these electric signals which the device creates. If your heart rate is too fast, it can help detect the excess of certain chemicals in your blood, such as potassium and even prevent heart attacks. It can also determine the effect of medication a patient is undergoing.
In a medical setting, the electrocardiograph has electrodes on the skin, which are close to the heart. These measure the electrical activity produced by the contracting of the heart. The receiver records this information and provides a reading of the heart’s health. From this, doctors can analyze any form of irregularities.
Reading ECG Results
People need to know how to read an ECG monitor so they can understand if their health condition is deteriorating and act upon it. If you have the device, you should keep track of how your heart is functioning, especially if you have a history of heart weakness. The pulse value will always be visible on top of the screen. The reading is regular if there is consistency,i.e., 120 -200 ms on paper. If there are too many variations, there is a possible abnormality. The readings take about 30 seconds.
By using any of the above devices, you can get a fast reading and regularly check your pulse rate to see if there are any spikes. People can carry these devices anywhere and thus get a firm grip on their health. It is not necessary to understand the P wave. Doctors and experts use these readings to determine more profound abnormalities. But to know when your heart rate is stooping is very important for keeping one’s health in check.
Wearables: The Best Modern Day ECG Devices
One of the most notable advancements in the field of medical equipment is the implementation of essential devices on watches and mobiles. The smartphone and smartwatch have made it easier for people to become healthier and more alert about living a healthy life. The Apple Watch is one of the best in its’s class. You can use the device easily from the comfort of your home or outside as well. To calculate the heartbeat, you need to place your finger on the screen for 30 seconds, and the device will analyze the electrical activity of your heart.
Some of these devices are so smart; they can detect problems based on your heartbeat. Compared to a hospital’s ECG machine, the smartwatch has only a single lead for the readings. It can assess the pulse based on the readings it gets from your wrist and thus may not detect all your heart abnormalities. But the reading that it provides can still help doctors understand their patients.
Here are some devices available online:
1) Apple Watch Series 5
Apple is taking over the world, one electronic device at a time. This smartwatch comes packed with several features and is a portable ECG by itself. It comes with a single sensor and can alert you when your heartbeat is irregular, especially during workouts. The features this device offers are close to some of the best ECG Monitors available in the market.
2) Samsung Galaxy Watch Active2
Easily the best smartwatch for Android users, the Samsung Galaxy watch has proved that Samsung can do anything Apple can. The device alerts users during a workout, irregular heartbeats, and when things are getting too uncomfortable for the user. It also tells time!
3) Garmin vívoactive 3, GPS Smartwatch
With built-in sports applications, this device is a great way to keep your heart rate in check. Remember to take a step back when it tells you to. The device comes with a single sensor and is very stylish.
4) H4 Fitness Health 2in1 Smart Watch
H4 fitness is a smartwatch built for the modern-day sports fanatic. The device keeps you in check and makes sure you do not over exceed your limits. The tool is excellent for people who love outdoor sports and activities.
ECG vs. EKG
Funnily enough, the ECG is, infact, an EKG. There is no difference between the two. The ECG is Electrocardiogram, and the EKG is Elektrokardiograhie. It is the German spelling and translates from the German language. Both terms are used to describe the measuring of heart activity and have 12-lead devices.
Most people call the ECG an EKG because it is less likely to be confused with an EEG, which is an Electroencephalogram (A device that measures electrical activity in the brain).
Buyers Guide To The Best ECG Monitors Online
Now that you know the functions and purposes of an ECG, you need to make sure you buy one that you can count on at any time. Detecting a heart problem should not be underestimated. Atrial fibrillation can happen at any time, and it is always better to see it coming. For this, you need durability, reliability, and an accurate device. Make sure you understand the features below and choose a device that suits your needs.
Physical Features –
1) Portability – Convenience is everything, and people can carry a smaller device anywhere. Make sure you pick a decent size that works wit whichever activity you are performing, whether it is sports or for daily use. The more compact the device, there is a chance it could cost more. But we recommend never putting a price on health.
2) Battery – To keep the device running, make sure it has a great battery life. Some devices can be charged while others run on external battery sources. Choose one for your convenience and make sure you can easily change the batteries as and when needed. Pick a device with a longer running time if you want to use it overnight.
3) Display – If you cannot read the reading provided, the purpose of the device is not met. The screen must be bright and elaborate enough for you to understand what is happening in your heart. There are devices you can connect to your smartphone and view, but it is essential to have a tool that you can read even without your phone. Make sure it is readable in any environment and also in the dark.
4) Electrodes – The part of the machine that records the signals from your heart is the electrode. Usually, home monitors come with 2 to 4 electrodes, and this provides a decent image of what is happening in your heart. Most portable ECGs come with two electrodes, which can help give a good reading, but the more, the better.
5) Bluetooth – Newer devices are Bluetooth and wifi compatible, which allows you to get a reading from the device on your phone. This feature provides convenience and ease of use throughout your day. Some apps connect to your devices and provide personal readings that have proven to be very useful. The best ECG monitors today connect to your mobile easily.
6) Multiple Functions – When analyzing your health, try purchasing a device that can do more. There are ECG devices that can even provide a reading of heart muscle strength. They measure blood pressure and give a complete picture of the cardiovascular health of the individual. By being able to monitor more than just the heartbeat rate, the device is worth the money and adds more value to your purchase.
7) Alerts – New models of ECGs and Smartwatches are not only able to read your heart health, but can give you an alert when things go off the rails. Best ECG Monitors can provide you with advice also on what needs to be done during different situations. This feature should not be taken lightly, especially by heart patients.
Essential Things to Consider With The Best ECG Monitors
8) Accuracy – Whenever it comes to a medical device, accuracy is everything. Having a device that provides an accurate reading for any function is the most vital feature it can have. The Portable ECG you choose should give a reading that your doctors can use in an emergency. Having more electrodes can provide a better idea of heart health.
9) Cost – Let’s not ignore the fact that sometimes the costlier the device, the more value it should provide. But you need to analyze the device before purchasing it. By spending more, you can get a device with more electrodes and get a precise reading every time. Find the tool that suits your needs and check the prices for the same. Once you balance all factors, make your choice.
Make sure your device does not come with an app that requires a hidden monthly cost or subscription cost.
10) Share recordings – Once you have your information, it is essential o be able to share it with your doctor or health expert. There are different ways to do it, and you should make sure your device has these features. Most devices can share via Bluetooth from phone to phone. If your device has Bluetooth, you can upload the reading to your phone and E-mail it to your doctor. Check if you can connect the device to a computer for the same and save time instead of having your doctor come to you.
11) Warranty – Not all devices can run correctly. Make sure the device you are using comes with a warranty and has a return policy as well. This way, you can use the tool freely, and in case of damage, you can return the same. It also shows reliability on the part of the brand.
Q: How do ECG Monitors work?
A: As your heart pumps blood, the device tracks the beat and uses electrical signals to generate information on a graph. This reading is then used by doctors to determine heart health.
Q: What is the difference between an ECG machine and the ECG monitor?
A: The device sold commercially is a portable ECG Monitor. This device comes with a maximum of 6 electrodes and produces a decent recording of the heartbeat rate. Doctors in hospitals use a minimum of 12 electrodes for precise reading of heart health. The ECG machine performs this function.
Q: What are the risks involved when using an EKG/ECG Device?
A: There are no risks involved when you use an ECG. Just make sure you have a device that can provide an accurate reading so that there is time saved during an emergency.
Q: Is an ECG important for Sports athletes?
A: Yes, it is important for athletes. The device is strapped on to the body and monitors the heart activity during the sport. You can use the more modern devices such as smartwatches, or portable ECG’s which come in a body belt. These can be worn while you work out, and you can keep monitoring your heart rate. By doing so, you can understand when to slow down and relax.
- Having the best ECG device means having accurate readings that your doctors can use during an emergency.
- If you are a heart patient, choose to form our list of the best ECG monitors available online. Our analysis is in-depth and direct.
- Don’t rush into purchasing a merely expensive device, check for additional features and a good brand.
- Find out what you are looking for in a device by checking our buyer’s guide and purchase the right ECG monitor accordingly.
- Do not overlook heart health. Stay healthy and always understand what your body is telling you.
Dr. David Taylor is a medical professional and an avid blogger. He holds an M.D. from Drexel University & a Ph.D. from Indiana University School of Medicine.
Dr. David loves to utilize technology to improve healthcare and he does it daily through BestRatedDocs.com. He founded the company in 2016 with the vision to make the discoverability of the best healthcare facilities & best products simple and easy. His passion for informatics and using technology to empower healthcare professionals and the patients they serve is unmatched. He regularly blogs about technology, health IT, medical products and other healthcare topics at bestrateddocs.com.
Last updated on 2020-05-28 // Source: Amazon Affiliates