Best Lightweight Transport Wheelchairs – Our Top Picks 
By BestRatedDocs | Last Updated: 22 Aug, 2018
Wheelchairs traditionally were quite heavy, clunky, and difficult to maneuver. This implies they were not easy to store, lift, fold, and transport. To make things simpler for the users, lightweight travel wheelchairs were introduced. Such wheelchairs are specifically portable and easy to transport to all occasions and distances. Also, they are handy and can be folded easily and lifted into and out of vehicles or transported to long distances with ease.
But selecting the right lightweight wheelchair for your needs is quite difficult with so many options available. This post will explain to you about:
- 10 best lightweight transport wheelchairs
- Different types of lightweight wheelchairs
- How to pick the best lightweight wheelchair for travel
Lightweight wheelchairs are suitable for people requiring mobility support, elderly with limited mobility, and even young individuals with temporary or permanent disability problem. To ensure that you pick the best lightweight wheelchair, here we have shortlisted the 10 best among all.
Have a look!
1. Medline Flip Back Wheelchair for Extra Comfort, Gray
- Flip-back, desk-length arms make it easy to sit at a table; removable elevating leg rests enhance comfort
- Nylon upholstery is breathable and comfortable
- Premium welds ensure durability
- Smooth-rolling mag wheels with low-maintenance flat-free tires; foot-powered movement with 2" seat-height adjustments (hemi-height)
- 350-lb. weight capacity; 31.5-lb. product weight, without leg rests
The flip back and elevating leg rest wheelchair from Medline is a smartly engineered product that is extremely sturdy. Despite being lightweight, this wheelchair can support easily up to 300 pounds. The car is perfect for those who wish to own a lightweight design that is comfortable and travel-friendly.
The wheelchair weighs around 33lbs without leg rest. The flip-back desk arms offer easy access, and excellent comfort of elevating leg rests that can be removed easily. The seat size is available in 3 different width sizes. You can select one that is appropriate for your size and offer you maximum comfort.
Additionally, the wheelchair comes with an adjustable backrest that delivers extra comfort. The nylon upholstery is breathable and comes with smooth rolling mag wheels that need low maintenance. It is a durable model that can be used for lasting years. For this reason, even individuals with severe mobility issues can get it.
- Excellent quality for the price
- Elevated leg rests enhance comfort
- Desk-length and flip-back arms
- Breathable upholstery
- Available in 3 different widths size
- Ideal for interior and exterior surfaces
- Not ideal for carpet
2. Drive Medical Fly Lite Ultra Lightweight Transport Wheelchair
- Comes with seat belt for added safety and handy carry pocket on back
- Back folds down for storage and transport and features deluxe back release
- Tool-free, height-adjustable swing-away footrests
- 6" casters in front and 8" casters in rear with aluminum rear wheel locks
- Folded Dimensions: 33" x 9" x 36"; Seat Width Between Arms: 18.75"; Seat Depth: 15.25"; Seat Height: 18"Weight Capacity: 300 lbs No anti tipping bar
The ultra-lightweight wheelchair from Drive Medical is an excellent product in terms of functionality and performance. The wheelchair comes with 4-wheel setup, implying that you cannot propel yourself without any external assistance.
While the footrests are durable and sturdy, at the same time they can be folded into an efficient design. The wheelchair is designed with the tool-free mechanism and can lead to the swinging footrest. The chair comes with a checkered seat and back material. It is a stylish product where the back wheels are incorporated with safety stops. This ensures that the safety of the user is maintained to the fullest.
Whether you incline or decline wheelchair, the user will remain secure and safe. The front wheels are 6 inches, while the rear wheels are 8inch in diameter. The width of the seat is quite bigger, and it can easily withstand a capacity of up to 300 pounds.
- Stylish design
- Excellent durability
- Rear wheels with safety stops
- Elevated height
- Excellent weight holding capacity
- Can accommodate bigger size
- Sturdy and durable footrests
- Cannot propel by self
3. Medline Mobility Ultralight Transport Wheelchair 19”
- Our 300 lb weight capacity ultralight transport chair allows you to travel light while making outings and/or and rehab situations easier
- This durable transport chair weighs less than 15 lbs | Compact, simple-folding design is great for travel and storage
- Stow-n-go clips allow the comfort footrests to be locked to the side of the chair when not in use
- Restaurant-style permanent armrests allow the user to sit closer to tables and desks
- Padded nylon upholstery | 8 inch rear wheels for easy forward and reverse | Made of high-grade aluminum | 16 inch seat depth, 19 inch seat width
Another amazing lightweight wheelchair in our list is the wheelchair from Medline. This is an excellent wheelchair that manages to offer a superior and competitive range of features while also being a cost-efficient wheelchair.
With a weight holding capacity of 300lb, this is an ultra-light transport chair allowing you to travel with ease. It is a durable transport chair that weighs less than 15lbs. The simple-folding and compact design are great for storage and travel. Furthermore, the wheelchair comes with stow-n-go clips that offer great comfort to the footrests while keeping them locked to the side of the chair.
The padded nylon upholstery and 8 inch rear wheels offer easy reverse and forward. The wheelchair is made with high-grade aluminum and offers a seat width of 19inches accommodating easily people with hefty weight.
- Simple folding design
- Compact design
- Durable transport chair weighing only 15lbs
- Stow-n-go-clips offering comfort to foot
- Restaurant style permanent armrests
- Durable construction
- Easy to transport
- Need assistance for movement
4. Drive Medical Blue Streak Wheelchair with Flip Back Desk Arms
- Cutting-edge wheelchair design makes independent mobility enjoyable
- Detachable desk arms and premium swing-away leg rests provide customizable support
- 18" padded nylon wheelchair seat ensures lasting comfort and is easy to clean
- Durable tires feature push-to-lock functionality for safety. Comes with calf strap
- Overall Dimensions: 42"(L) x 24"(W) x 36"(H); Closed Width: 12.5"; Seat Dimensions: 16"(D) x 18"(W) x 19.5"(H); Armrest Height: 8"; Weight Capacity: 250 lbs
The lightweight wheelchair from Drive Medical comes in a cutting-edge wheelchair design that makes independent mobility convenient and enjoyable. The wheelchair is engineered using best quality materials and hence offers long-lasting service. This makes it one of the best lightweight wheelchairs available right now.
It comes with premium swing-away leg rests and detachable desk arms, both offering customizable support to the user. In addition to this, the wheelchair incorporates durable tires featuring push-to-lock functionality for enhanced safety. Even, it has a calf strap to further boost the safety of the user.
With a seat to floor height of 19.5 inches and seat width of 18inches, it can accommodate conveniently hefty users. The wheelchair holds weight holding capacity of 250lbs and comes with nylon padded seat ensuring lasting comfort and easy maintenance.
- Swing-away leg rests
- Detachable desk arms
- Easy to clean nylon upholstery
- Cutting-edge design
- Convenient twist and turns
- Have basic safety features
5. Giantex 24” Foldable Medical Wheelchair w/Footrest and Carry Pockets
- 【User-Friendly Designs】A big pocket was behind the wheelchair for your little collections. Two hand brakes over the big wheels are easy to use, besides, the brake system can be adjusted if you are not satisfied with the brake tightness or speed. The rubber tires do not need to be inflated.
- 【Space Saving and Easy Transport Folding Design】You can fold the wheelchair effortlessly. It can be folded easily and helps you save much space when it is not in use. It is easy for to move or put in a car trunk for transport.
- 【Comfortably Padded Armrests】The armrests are softly padded and offer ultra comfort to you. The height is suitable for your daily use to place a table over the wheelchair for office work or have your meals
- 【Sturdy Reinforced Steel Frame and Soft Seat and Back】The wheelchair has sturdy reinforced steel frame to ensure the sturdiness and solidness. The seat and back uses soft customized PVC material to ensure the comfortableness of sitting on it
- 【Calf Support Belts and Flipped Pedals】The calf support belt offers support to your calf and effectively reduces the pressure. The pedals can be flipped to the side, leaving spaces for you to easily stand up.
Available in a user-friendly design, the foldable medical wheelchair from Giantex holds a big pocket behind the wheelchair for little collections. It holds two hand brakes and big wheels that are easy to use. It is definitely one of the high-end wheelchair models in our list.
One of the exclusive features is adjustable brake system if you are not convinced with the brake speed or tightness. Moreover, the rubbers tires offer smooth movement and do not need to be inflated. It has been designed on the basis of easy transport and space-saving folding functionality. Hence, the wheelchair is absolutely effortless. It can be folded easily and help you save space when not in use.
The softly padded armrests offer great comfort. The height is ideal for daily use. The wheelchair comes with a soft back and seat but a sturdy reinforced steel frame. The flipped pedals and calf support belts along with other features make it one of the best lightweight wheelchairs.
- Space saving design
- User-friendly engineering
- Comfortably padded armrests
- Softback and seat
- Support belts for safety
- Flipped pedals
- Sturdy Reinforced steel frame
- Slightly Expensive
6. Drive Medical Lightweight Steel Transport Wheelchair
- Durable steel frame provides reliable stability when using independently or with assistance
- Superior maneuverability in narrow indoor layouts
- Cushioned armrests and swing away footrests ensure comfort
- Chair and backrest fold flat for easy transportation
- Nylon seat upholstery is simple to clean
Drive Medical offers a steel and durable design that is considered a transport-friendly wheelchair. This is a portable and light-weight wheelchair ideal for users that require to be pushed around. It comes without traditional wheels that will enable you to propel yourself.
It is an ideal choice for permanently disables users with limited or no use of arms. The wheelchair allows for long-distance trips but needs support for the movement. The best part is that it offers ambulance and transport facilities and is a wonderful solution for those who want to maintain adequate safety while traveling.
Both rear and front wheels are of equal size and allow easy movement. The bigger footrests and padded armrests ensure that absolute comfort is maintained to the user. It can bear the weight of up to 250 pounds and comes with a compact seat width. It can be folded conveniently for storage and even incorporates a safety belt.
- Compact design
- Padded Armrests
- Safety belt
- Safety locks
- Easier to transport
- Bigger leg rest
- Swing away footrests allowing easy transfers
- Need external support for the movement
7. Lightweight Wheelchair Transport Adult Folding with Handbrakes, Red by Medline
- Medline transport wheelchair has large 12 inch rear wheels for better performance on uneven outdoor surfaces | Loop-style manual handbrakes are ideal for locking the rear wheels during transfers
- Powder coated aluminum ultralight frame is durable and has a weight capacity of 300 lbs
- Portable back is collapsible (folds down) for easy storage, transport and travel
- Full length permanent armrest | Detachable footrests | Seat belt for safety | Comfortable nylon upholstery
- Seat dimensions are 18 x 16 inches
It is a transport medical chair and makes it simpler for caregivers to aid you or your loved ones get around with ease and comfort. This wheelchair requires to be pushed by someone else to move, but it much lighter and have a more compact size than a regular wheelchair. The rear back wheels are slightly bigger than for better handling.
The seat belt and handbrakes are for enhanced safety, and it is a lightweight transport wheelchair weighs just around 23.5 pounds, while maintaining absolute comfort. Besides nylon upholstery, the wheelchair incorporates armrests as well as detachable footrests. It can bear weight up to 300 pounds and has a highly comfortable seat.
It is sturdy construction and can be folded easily. The wheelchair comes with effortless maneuver as compared to other lightweight wheelchairs. It is a high-quality chair and is an excellent value for money.
- Convenient adjustments
- Folds conveniently and sturdily
- Does not markup floors
- Excellent value for money
- Seat belt and handbrake
- Detachable footrests
- Compact size for better handling
- Slightly more expensive
8. Drive Medical Rebel Lightweight Wheelchair
- Fold-down back and folding frame allows transport in almost any trunk
- Quick-release rear wheels, tool-free removable front casters, and easily removable swing-away footrests allow for easy storage or transport
- Desk-style armrests make transfers easy and accessibility better
- Lightweight and extremely maneuverable, easy to navigate tight areas
- Large accommodating seating surface
This is a beautiful and red polished design with an exterior that makes it a little bit stylish and classy. The wheelchair offers a classy appearance and comes with easy functionality. It comes with removable front casters, which can be removed without any additional tools.
The quick release-rear wheels are well accompanied with handbrakes to offer excellent support to the user. Another great thing about this wheelchair is its compact size and design. The size is compact enough that it can fit well into any storage areas. As a result, you don’t have to seek any additional storage space for the wheelchair.
With a wide seat and excellent weight holding capacity, it can withstand the weight of hefty individuals with ease. It comes with the self-propelling mechanism. For this reason, people with light mobility issues or having no difficulty in moving the chair can use it with ease. Moreover, the body is polished with the best material offering excellent resistance to corrosion or damage to the wheelchair.
- Extremely lightweight
- Comfortable seating and back
- Quick release – rear wheels
- Handbrakes and seat belt for enhanced safety
- Self-propelling maneuver
- Compact size ideal for storage
- Polished frame
- Sturdy design
- Cannot be folded
- Footrests are quite flimsy
9. Karman Lightweight Wheelchair Removable Footrest
- 18x16 Seat with easy-to-clean uholstery and seat height 19 inches
- Removable footrest with height adjustable footplate and heel loop
- Push to lock manual brakes;24 inches Flat free polyurethane rear tires
- 8x1 flat free casters and 24x1 flat free rear wheels
- Supports weight loads up to 250 pounds. Silver Vein frame color
Now, this wheelchair from Karma is another excellent lightweight wheelchair on our list. The wheelchair offers added durability and comfort. Hence, it is an ideal solution for your entire needs. The easy to clean and low-maintenance upholstery ensures that the user is able to get maximum comfort.
While the front wheels are of standard size, the rear wheels are quite big and are equipped with safety stop. For this reason, the safety of the user is maintained to the fullest. To enhance the safety further, this wheelchair comes with a safety belt, which is easy to fasten.
It is a foldable design that can be folded for easy storage or convenient transportation. Even the footrest is foldable, and hence, can be folded as per the convenience of the user. It is engineered with an aluminum frame that imparts high durability to this product. The wheelchair is an excellent solution for those with severe or temporary mobility issues.
- Sturdy construction
- Long backrest
- Foldable leg rest
- Foldable design
- Safety belt and stop mechanism
- Big size rear wheels for easy turns
- Easy to clean upholstery
- Handbrakes for the assistance for an instant stop
- Cannot be self-propelled
10. Nova Medical Products Lightweight Transport Wheelchair 18 inch
- Much easier to use for transporting than a wheelchair, with a lightweight aluminum frame (weights only 18.5 pounds) and a 300 pound weight capacity
- Quickly and easily folds compactly for transport and storage. Arm height from seat: 8 inch; back height from seat: 17.5 inch
- Comes with fixed desk length padded arms, quick release fold-down back, adjustable belt, durable thick nylon upholstery and back close-able pocket
- Comes with removable and adjustable footrest, 8" front/rear wheels and rear wheel lock. Footplate height from floor: 5 - 9 inches
- Dimensions - Weight: 18.5 pounds; Width between handles: 17.5"; Seat dimensions: 18"W x 16"D; Seat height: 19.75"
This lightweight wheelchair from Nova is much convenient to use for transport. The wheelchair comes with a lightweight aluminum frame that weighs only 18.5 pounds. This wheelchair can withstand a weight of up to 300-pound capacity.
It can easily and quickly fold compactly for storage and transport. It comes with a comfortable arm height of 8 inches and a back height of 17.5 inches. Furthermore, the wheelchair comes with a fixed desk length padded arms and an adjustable safety belt. With durable thick nylon upholstery and back closeable pocket, this wheelchair offers lasting durability and sturdiness.
The adjustable and removable footrest as well as rear and front wheels lock, the wheelchair offers a comfortable footplate of 5-9 inches. With appropriate seat width and ergonomic design, this wheelchair is an ideal choice for individuals with limited mobility.
- Quick release fold-down back
- Durable nylon upholstery
- Adjustable belt
- Easier for transporting
- Lightweight Aluminum frame
- Back with closeable pocket
- Safety locks at rear and front wheel
- Does not have handbrakes
Buyer’s Guide – How to Select the Perfect Lightweight Wheelchair
Wheelchairs serve a range of benefits to people with reduced mobility. Predominantly, they offer flexibility, support, opportunity, and independence. Also, they can prevent further injury and enhance comfort.
They can aid and boost up recovery from illness or an accident. Since wheelchairs come in lots of different sizes, shapes, and specifications, there is a model appropriate to every requirement.
When you decide which wheelchair is the best for you, it is important to take numerous aspects into consideration. Here are some important factors that you need to consider:
This is definitely an important factor to consider. It will influence your decision too. You need to pick a wheelchair that perfectly balances your budget with quality. The price of the wheelchair can vary greatly. Hence, try considering models that we have shortlisted for you.
Your specialized needs
Once you have a budget for yourself, the next vital thing is to consider your specialized needs. Whether you are a senior with a permanent mobility problem, or met with a fracture, or need a wheelchair for moving outside. Consider all your aspects and then make a wise decision.
Your future needs
Once your immediate requirements are covered, it is time to think about the future needs. If your health status is expected to get worse, your wheelchair must be able to stand the test of time. Make sure you don’t go through the stressful and costly process of buying a new wheelchair afterward.
You must pick a wheelchair that caters to your needs as well as individual lifestyle. If you live an energetic lifestyle, then you must pick a wheelchair accordingly as compared to one that can help you spend time indoors.
Wheelchairs are available in different seat sizes. You can select the seat size as per your convenience and one that can accommodate your weight.
The design of the wheelchair must be efficient and comfortable. It must offer maximum support. Wheelchairs with an aluminum frame, memory foam, and molded head and backrests are known to offer maximum comfort.
Now, you now know the factors to consider while buying a lightweight wheelchair, it is time you gain some knowledge about the different types of lightweight wheelchair.
Different Types of Lightweight Wheelchair
Also known as transport wheelchairs, these are portable, small, and lightweight products with small wheels. They are ideal for days out as well as short trips. They are commonly suited to elderly in health care institutes and hospitals.
These are electric wheelchair that comes with power or motorized functionality. They need no manual propulsion and are perfect to use outdoors as well as indoors.
This is a fantastic option for those who are new to wheelchairs. It offers convenient transitioning between seated mobility aids or walking cane or frame. Such chairs are versatile and can be used in multiple ways.
These chairs are also called as tilt wheelchairs. They offer great comfort to people with a severe Usually, they come with detachable footplates, armrests, and headrests.
Such chairs are designed specifically for individuals experiencing obesity problem. They ensure maximum comfort, safety, and support to the user.
Sports / Active Chairs
Such wheelchairs are designed specifically for activities and sports. They are not meant for everyday use.
An ergonomic design means comfort and efficiency. These wheelchairs offer maximum support, and the lightweight aluminum frames make it an excellent choice for all types of users.
Most of the wheelchair models we have listed in our post are suitable for individuals with mobility issue resulted from different problems. Some of these wheelchairs can even be customized as per your special needs. If you have specific requirements, you must speak with the manufacturer.
Hope, you get the best one that perfectly fits your needs.
Dr. David Taylor is a medical professional and an avid blogger. He holds an M.D. from Drexel University & a Ph.D. from Indiana University School of Medicine.
Dr. David loves to utilize technology to improve healthcare and he does it daily through BestRatedDocs.com. He founded the company in 2016 with the vision to make the discoverability of the best healthcare facilities & best products simple and easy. His passion for informatics and using technology to empower healthcare professionals and the patients they serve is unmatched. He regularly blogs about technology, health IT, medical products and other healthcare topics at bestrateddocs.com.
Last updated on 2018-09-19 // Source: Amazon Affiliates