Best Stethoscopes for Nurses Right Now [2018 Updated]
Are you looking for the best stethoscopes for nurses? Out there are innumerable brands, models, and types available, but this makes the task to select best one extremely daunting and intricate.
The right stethoscope is the one that is designed to be comfortable and lightweight when carried for long hours and wear around the neck. It is designed to offer high-quality sound isolations and performance when listening to the heartbeat of patients, blood-flow, and lungs.
To make it easier for you to select the best stethoscope for yourself, we have listed here the 10 best stethoscopes that nurses can buy. We even provide you a buyer’s guide that can help you find the perfect stethoscope as per your needs.
1. 3M Littmann Lightweight II S.E. Stethoscope 2450
- Provides reliable acoustic performance for taking blood pressure readings and making limited physical assessments of adult patients
- Tunable diaphragm responds with a simple pressure change to capture low and high frequency sounds
- Tear drop shape for easy fit under blood pressure cuff
- Anatomically designed headset is angled to meet the path of the ear canal
- Nonchill rim and diaphragm provide welcome patient comfort
With a metal-based Chestpiece, this stethoscope is one of the best diagnosing equipment for the nurses.
It holds a total length of 28 inches and is a reliable device offering clear acoustic delivery. The lightweight stethoscope is the added benefit of this device. The heavy weight of the stethoscope in your neck and pocket does not add on weight and is extremely light on the body. The device is extremely easy to use and absolutely portable.
It incorporates a tunnel shape diaphragm that responds to small changes in pressure. It means that the stethoscope is efficient enough for capturing both high and low-frequency sounds. With a teardrop earpiece design, it ensures that you can hear all the sounds comfortably.
It offers added comfort and ensures that the situation is maintained at all the times. The diaphragm and rim have an exclusive and unique design that is non-chill. As a result, the patient feels absolute comfort during the diagnosis process. So, if you are searching for a comfortable and reliable stethoscope, then this one is among the best!
2. 3M Littmann Classic III Stethoscope
- Monitor and assess a wide range of patients
- Detect normal and abnormal sounds and rhythms
- Useful in non critical care environments such as a medical office, general ward, OB/GYN, ambulatory clinic or urgent care
- 5 year warranty. Open bell stays clear of dirt and debris by covering it with the small diaphragm
- Fun and vibrant; match color and finish to your personality
With tunable diaphragms, the Classic III Stethoscope from Littmann is an excellent choice for nurses.
The stethoscope comes with double-sided chest-piece and as compared to other stethoscopes; it has a more durable tuning and functionality. It holds excellent resistance to alcohol and skin oils. This means, it would not wear off easily. With less wear and tear off, you can expect more durability and lasting performance with the stethoscope. The stethoscope is not prone to stains and other external damages as well.
It comes with excellent sound quality. Hence, if you do not want to experience any trouble while diagnosing the patient then this one is an ideal choice. It is quite comfortable to the ears and can be adorned for a longer time period.
Littmann is famous among medical professionals worldwide. Though the price is a bit high, the durability and efficiency of this stethoscope are unmatched. But, one thing you need to know is that as compared to other devices, this one is a little hefty and hence slightly uncomfortable for long-term use.
3. 3M Littmann 2141 Master Classic II Stethoscope
- Award winning ergonomic design and excellent acoustic sensitivity deliver comfort and reliable diagnostic performance
- Tunable diaphragm responds with a simple pressure change to capture low and high-frequency sounds
- Anatomically designed headset is angled to meet the path of the ear canal
- Non-chill rim and diaphragm offers welcome patient comfort.Diaphragm Diameter 1.75 Inch Diaphragm Diameter (metric) 1.73 inches
- Latex free materials for allergy sensitive users; Headset Material: Wide diameter aerospace alloy / Anodized aluminum
One of the highly reliable and extremely comfortable stethoscopes from Littmann is the Master Classic II stethoscope.
This is an excellent stethoscope for nurses as it has an award-winning design along with unmatched acoustic sensitivity. This makes it a wonderful and convenient choice. The stethoscope performs well for general physical tests and even uses a double tunable technology for its diaphragm. For this reason, it is a versatile and adaptable solution perfect for different uses.
In addition to this, the stethoscope even offers excellent portability convenience. It comes with a single-sided chest-piece. As a result, medical professionals are able to listen to the heartbeat, body sounds, and lung sounds with ease. Eventually, it results in proper assessment and diagnosis of the patient. Most importantly, the diaphragm is able to respond efficiently even to simple changes in pressure. This captures both high and low frequency sounds with ease.
With an ergonomically designed headset and a non-chill diaphragm, the stethoscope is absolutely comfortable to the patients. It comes with comfortable ear tips as well, which makes it an appropriate solution perfect to wear for a longer time period.
4. MDF MD One Rose Gold Stethoscope
- Handcrafted Since 1971 | Free-parts-for-life Program | Lifetime Warranty | Latex-free
- 100% stainless steel construction and acoustically-superior stainless steel
- PRE-ANGLED > ErgonoMax Headset is anatomically angled at 15 degrees for a precise fit
- SECURED TWICE > Dual-leaf spring construction offers twice the durability
- PREVENT PUNCTURED EAR DRUMS > Patented SafetyLock Eartip Adaptors are non-invasive and leads the industry in user safety
The stainless steel, rose gold stethoscope from MDF is a classy and handcrafted solution, well-suited to nurses.
The stethoscope is prepared from high-quality stainless steel and offers a lifetime warranty to the users. It is specially designed for acoustical purposes. With a latex-free body, it offers lasting usability without much wear and tear. The stethoscope hosts earpieces available in 3 different sizes – regular, small, and large. As a result, you can get maximum comfort to your ears, depending on the type of your body.
Now, the diaphragm of this stethoscope comes with double headed functionality. This delivers excellent flexibility to let you hear higher frequencies with ease. The unique aspect of this stethoscope is its fashionable and chic design. In addition to this, it holds a durable and safe design that is ideal for long life use. With crystal clear acoustics quality, it is one of the best solutions for nurses to hear clear sound for all kinds of diagnosis.
The stethoscope comes with a lifetime warranty. In addition to this, it holds numerous accessory options that enhance its beauty even further. Hence, if you are looking for a beautiful and quality product for your nursing profession, then this is one is one of the bests.
5. Littmann Cardiology IV Stethoscope
- Diagnose and make decisions with confidence
- Hear subtle changes in patient status
- Useful in critical care and challenging environments such as the ED, ICU, Cardiac ICU, step-down unit and other dynamic locations
- 7-year warranty
- Ergonomic and high profile construction; 40% larger chestpiece and 60% deeper bell than the 3M Littmann Classic III Stethoscope
If you are searching out for a high-end stethoscope, then 3M Littmann’s Cardiology IV Stethoscope is a premium solution.
This stethoscope is designed to offer an optimal experience to the users. With soft-sealed ear tips and excellent resistance to stainless-steel chest-piece, this is a wonderful solution to your diagnosing needs. The device is engineered with next-generation double-lumen tubing to better obstruct the sounds between right and left ear tubes. At the same time, it eliminates the rubbing sound of the traditional double tubes that obstructs sound interferences and enhances overall clarity.
With amazing tubing design, it improves the overall sound quality and is built to hold resistance to staining. The tubing is less prone to getting damaged or breaking down over time. Hence, the device is more reliable for life. It features some prominent elements such as machined stainless steel chest-piece housing a paediatric and adult side, double-sided mechanism, and an open bell.
You can apply slight pressure to the chest-piece and fine-tune frequencies of the device to listen to different physical beats, rhythms, and tones to diagnose adults, infants, as well as newborns. Besides an excellent stethoscope for cardiology experts, it is also an ideal stethoscope for EMT’s, medical students, and critical care nurses.
6. ADC Adscope 603 Stainless Steel Stethoscope
- Combination chestpiece is CNC machined to exacting tolerances from surgical stainless steel. Ultra-sensitive, non-chill diaphragm for greater amplification and crisper high-frequency transmission; extra-large, non-chill bell for unsurpassed low-frequency response.
- Adjustable frequency design (AFD) enhances acoustic performance.
- Clinician headset features reinforcing yoke molded into flexible 22-inch PVC tubing, stainless steel binaurals (tactical finish has black anodized aluminum binaurals), and Adsoft Plus silicone eartips for the ultimate in wearing comfort and acoustic seal.
- Includes two additional pairs of Adsoft Plus eartips and a complimentary scope ID tag.
- Lifetime warranty and free "consumables," including diaphragms and eartips, when registered.
The 603 Adscope Stethoscope from ADC or American Diagnostics is a single-sided device that is an excellent choice for those nurses who wish to own a stethoscope with an independent acoustic side.
The stethoscope is engineered with stainless steel material and features a double-sided chest-piece. It even allows adjusting the frequency design for further tuning and efficient diagnosis under all circumstances. It comes with a non-chill diaphragm allowing optimal amplification when diagnosing high-frequency sounds. The stethoscope comes with an ultra-sensitive and non-chill bell offering excellent acoustic quality for low range frequencies.
It features an ergonomic headset that hosts a CNC machined stainless steel binaural as well as a reinforced yoke, which is molded into long-lasting 22 inches flexible PVC tubing. As a result, you can expect high durability and optimal tolerance with this stethoscope. It even comes with a pair of silicone Adsoft ear tips offering acoustic seal that is comfortable to the ears. This enables better sound clarity and even reduces interferences of external noises and sounds.
Available in 3 different metal finishes and more than 20 color options, the stethoscope delivers a personal touch.
7. 3M Littmann 6163 Cardiology IV Stethoscope
- Diagnose and make decisions with confidence
- Hear subtle changes in patient status
- Useful in critical care and challenging environments such as the ED, ICU, Cardiac ICU, step down unit and other dynamic locations
- 7 year warranty
- Ergonomic and high profile construction; 40percentage larger chestpiece and 60percentage deeper bell than the 3M Littmann Classic III Stethoscope
The Littmann’s 6163 cardiology IV stethoscope is an excellent solution for the clinical needs of the nursing professionals.
This stethoscope is an amazing pick for its ability to easily pick up high-frequency sounds with ease. The device is prepared from high-quality materials. Hence, it offers long-lasting functionality and durability to the experts. The performance of this stethoscope is unmatched and even eliminates the rubbing noise, which is a main problem in the traditional stethoscopes. It is because of its qualitative dual – lumen tubing.
The headset of a stethoscope is easy to adjust. This ensures that you can avail absolute comfort on use. With angled ear tubes, it is possible to fit the tubing conveniently into the ear canals. The stethoscope comes with soft-sealing ear tips that ensure the fit is extremely comfortable and does not result in any problem even when you wear it for long hours.
The stethoscope comes with a longer life. Though the diaphragm and tubing of the stethoscope are not too much versatile, still it is an ideal solution for nurses who want high accuracy for every diagnosis.
8. MDF Acoustica Deluxe Lightweight Double Headed Stethoscope
- Handcrafted Since 1971 | Free-parts-for-life Program | Lifetime Warranty | Latex-free |
- ALL-PURPOSE LIGHTWEIGHT STETHOSCOPE > Durable, convenient, lightweight, and high sound performance
- Includes 3 pairs of MDF ComfortSeal eartips: Small, Regular, and Large. Eartips are included in our Free-parts-for-life Program
- LIGHTWEIGHT, HIGH SOUND PERFORMANCE
- PREVENT PUNCTURED EAR DRUMS Patented SafetyLock Eartip Adaptors are non-invasive and leads the industry in user safety
The Lightweight double headed stethoscope from MDF Acoustica is another premium choice of stethoscopes for nurses. With excellent quality and affordable pricing, it is popular for performing precise diagnosis.
It holds a latex free and handcrafted body that makes it suitable for people with sensitive skin. Moreover, you can consider buying this stethoscope as it is not much heavy. Being a nurse, sometimes you need to work for long hours. In such a situation, you would want a stethoscope that does not add much strain to your neck. With a large bell offering excellent sound amplification, and comfortable ear tips, it is prepared from soft silicone ear tips. This ensures proper as well as comfort fit.
The stethoscope also offers excellent auscultation. It is a highly durable option, which is both lightweight and performs lastingly. It effectively obstructs ambient sound noise without causing much trouble to the patients. So, if you are searching for a highly affordable option that promises to deliver you long-lasting performance and excellent outcomes, then this one is among the best.
9. Omron Sprague Rappaport
- Latex FREE tubing and chrome plated chestpiece
- Includes: three sizes of open bells, two sizes of diaphragms, and two pair of eartips
- Comes with three sizes of open bells
Though an entry-level stethoscope, this device features numerous unique and exclusive elements, which makes it one of the finest solutions for nursing professionals.
The stethoscope comes with double sided tubing and round chest piece. The tubing is prepared from latex that is great to prevent skin allergies. With a weight of 9.6 pounds, it is extremely light to carry and easy to lug around the entire day. It is an excellent choice for nurses who are tight on budget but do not want to compromise on the quality.
Besides being lightweight, the stethoscope delivers excellent performance. It emits the acoustic sound that is loud and clearly audible, even when you are diagnosing in a noisy environment. For this reason, the stethoscope is one of the top choices for fetal diagnosis. It comes with double tubing that delivers more sound clarity. But, this can result in the rubbing problem. However, it is possible to combat this problem by using a duct tape that secures the tube together and prevents them from bumping together.
Hence, if you are searching out for the most affordable, high-quality, and reliable solution for your diagnosing needs, then the stethoscope from Omron is the best choice.
10. Prestige Medical Clinical Lite
- The Clinical Lite comes with two sizes of eartips which seal out extraneous noise while providing superior comfort.
- An easy to use snap-on rim & diaphragm.
- Extra diaphragm included
With a weight of 4 ounces, this is a wonderful stethoscope from Prestige Medical. It is one of the lightest stethoscopes that is engineered with anodized aluminum. For this reason, the device guarantees to deliver lasting performance and unmatched durability.
The best thing about this stethoscope is its hot pink color that is attractive and preserves the exclusivity of the medical device. In addition to this, the stethoscope is affordable. It is a wonderful solution for nurses as well as beginner medical professionals. The only distinction is not of the color but is an excellent stethoscope incorporating numerous rich features.
Engineering wise, you will never go wrong with this stethoscope. It is highly durable and lightweight that makes it comfortable to wear for the entire day. Moreover, the acoustic quality of this stethoscope is at par, which makes it a wonderful solution for the nurses. It comes with a single tubing and obstructs all sorts of external noises, thereby delivering crystal clear sound quality to the ears.
The competent sound waves make the stethoscope ideal for not just cardiology use, but also for other sorts of diagnosis. It comes with easy to use the diaphragm and snap on the rim. It even includes an additional diaphragm that delivers unmatched sound quality to the users.
Buyers Guide – How to Select the Best Stethoscopes for Nurses?
To ensure that you select the best stethoscope for yourself, here we list the key factors that you must consider before you buy a stethoscope.
1. Head Type of Stethoscope
The head type of a stethoscope can be of various types – single, double head, and triple head.
The single head stethoscope is known to deliver wide and clear frequency sound output. It enables listeners to focus on low of high-frequency sounds.
The double head stethoscope is highly versatile. It includes two heads, a bell, and diaphragm. It allows you to listens high-frequency as well as low-frequency sounds with ease.
The triple head stethoscope delivers more accurate results. It is useful to assess critical heart sounds and is quite expensive.
Being a nurse, you may work in different specialties. Based on your specialization, you can select a stethoscope, such as:
• Sprague Rappaport Stethoscope – This stethoscope holds a separate chest piece tubes for each earpiece. The tubes are held by a metal clip and are connected exclusively to the headpiece.
• Cardiology Stethoscope – You can consider buying these stethoscopes for cardiac assessments. These have an excellent sound quality that delivers clear sound results.
• Pediatric Stethoscope – This stethoscope is similar to classic stethoscopes. It holds a headpiece that is smaller. Even the head measures a single inch in diameter and is specially contoured for pediatric patients.
• Infant Stethoscope – Such stethoscopes have a small headpiece, with a bell lower than the ¾ inch diameter. The headpiece is lightweight and ideal for babies and newborns.
3. Ear Piece
This part of the stethoscope must feel soft and must fit perfectly to the ear canals. It must be appropriately angled to ensure clear sounds.
The Chestpiece must be prepared from stainless steel. It is because the Chestpiece with stainless steel is an excellent conductor of sound. Chestpieces prepared from zinc and aluminum alloy are also great.
Make sure you select a stethoscope housing tubing made with polyvinyl chloride. It must be made with latex-free material to hold excellent resistance to cracks and damage.
Pick a stethoscope having a flexible diaphragm. It must be air-sealed ensuring amplifying sound is clear.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Do nurses require a stethoscope?
A. Yes, nurses do require a stethoscope as the role of a nurse is much more than just following the physician’s instructions. They may fall in need to diagnose a patient, even before the doctor does. Hence, nurses need to own a good stethoscope that can deliver precise results.
What are the best stethoscopes brands for nurses?
Q. What is the use of an electronic stethoscope?
A. The electronic stethoscope houses circuitry that leads to the digitization of sound energy. It decodes and encodes to result in ambient noise elimination or reduction, which is being sent to ears through headphones or speakers. While acoustic stethoscopes are based on the same physics, electronic stethoscopes incorporate transducers that may vary widely.
Q. Why the diaphragm of a stethoscope is important?
A. The diaphragm is the stethoscope’s part that is in direct contact with the patient’s chest or back during the diagnosis process. It is responsible to isolate external sounds and transfer patient’s heartbeat, blood-flow, and lungs related sounds to nurse’s earpieces through the tubing.
The diaphragm can be prepared with different materials including aluminum, steel, and plastic. It may include a bell or not depending on your requirements. It is essential to pick a high-quality stethoscope, as otherwise, it would not allow you to listen to a patient’s sounds while observing.
Q. What accessories must be considered while purchasing a stethoscope?
A. Besides diaphragm, it is essential to consider the ear tips, rim assembly, I.D. tags, and a preparatory box of the stethoscope.
As a nurse, make sure you pick a stethoscope that is able to optimally cater your needs. Whether you pick a high-end model or an entry-level stethoscope, make sure you pick one with good quality. We hope we have cleared your doubts about selecting the right stethoscope.
Dr. David Taylor is a medical professional and an avid blogger. He holds an M.D. from Drexel University & a Ph.D. from Indiana University School of Medicine.
Dr. David loves to utilize technology to improve healthcare and he does it daily through BestRatedDocs.com. He founded the company in 2016 with the vision to make the discoverability of the best healthcare facilities & best products simple and easy. His passion for informatics and using technology to empower healthcare professionals and the patients they serve is unmatched. He regularly blogs about technology, health IT, medical products and other healthcare topics at bestrateddocs.com.
Last updated on 2019-09-20 // Source: Amazon Affiliates