14 Best Ankle Braces for Sports, Sprains & Everyday Use [Updated]
Exercise is essential for every one of us. It’s not just become a trend; it’s a lifestyle. But we often take our body’s abilities for granted and jump into activities without being fully prepared. By wearing the best ankle braces or even the best back braces, you slowly cut the level of injury that could occur. There are different parts of your leg from your shin to your toes that connect via nerves and bones. Damage to any of these could lead to severe injuries for the entire foot.
A right ankle brace can reduce pain and allow you to perform better in sports. They are very beneficial, and today, athletes use them as a precaution rather than a cure for an injury.
- 1 What Is An Ankle Brace?
- 2 How Does An Ankle Brace Work?
- 3 Types Of Ankle Braces
- 4 Top Ankle Braces – Our Recommendations
- 5 Best Ankle Braces For Sports Injuries
- 6 Best Ankle Brace For Basketball
- 7 Best Ankle Brace For Running
- 8 Best Ankle Brace For Soccer
- 9 Best Ankle Brace For Baseball
- 10 Best Lace Up Ankle Brace
- 11 Best Ankle Brace For Sprain
- 12 Best Ankle Brace To Prevent Rolling
- 13 Best Thin Ankle Brace
- 14 Best Velcro Ankle Brace
- 15 Best Ankle Compression Sleeve
- 16 Best Ankle Braces for Fracture
- 17 Best Ankle Braces for Plantar Fasciitis
- 18 Best Ankle Braces for Exercise Recovery
- 19 Best Ankle Braces for Ankle Injuries
- 20 How Do I Know If I need An Ankle Brace?
- 21 Buying Guide To The Best Ankle Braces
- 22 Other Ways To Improve Ankle Strength
- 23 FAQs
- 24 Conclusion
What Is An Ankle Brace?
The ankle brace is a product used to keep the ankle in a single position so that it does not move. People wear this product to avoid injuries that are caused by sports accidents where the ankle gets sprained. But today, there are several brands and types of ankles braces available on the market which people use for different ailments. As a result of this, the product is evolving into a more comfortable and convenient zone.
How Does An Ankle Brace Work?
By keeping your foot from moving around, the brace keeps your ankle steady and allows it to heal at its own pace. However, it will enable you to move around and continue normal activities while drawing your foot into a safe position every time it gets away. The ankle brace today is a medical marvel. It compresses your foot and improves circulation, which is right even if you do not have an injury. It is encouraged in sports as prevention to damage and a booster for performance.
Types Of Ankle Braces
For Athletes, it is vital to be able to keep your foots range of motion open. However, rolls and sprains can happen at any time if your foot does not return to its anatomically correct position after sudden movements. For this reason, the lace compression type of ankle brace can keep your foot steady while also letting you move around freely. Some come with straps for extra compression.
Aircast Ankle Braces
If your ankle has to be still to recover from an injury, the Aircast ankle brace is the best choice. It is light and steady and keeps your ankle from moving. You can take part in sporting activities, but you will have limitations in movement. It is prescribed during times of rest and is best suited for sprains and swellings.
Regular/ Daily Use Ankle Braces
The most common ankle supports are the Daily Use braces. They are straightforward to put on easy to take off. They are thin and are used in footwear. You can use them to provide stability to your foot while walking or running. They are suitable for people who have recovered from sprains but want a complete range of motion.
Best Ankle Braces For Severe Injuries
Maximum Support Ankle Braces
With tight velcro straps, lace, and additional padding, these ankle braces are for athletes who jump and have sudden movements in their sports. It completely avoids any sudden tear or injury to the ankle. It is used in treating Plantar Fasciitis and other problems related to the ankle and foot.
Hard Shell Protection Ankle Braces
If you have recovered from a severe fracture and need to protect your leg from recurring damage, the hard shell ankle brace does the job. A hard shell connects your entire shin and foot with straps that keep a check on the movement. Most of these products have shock absorbers on the base so you can walk without any injury or pain.
No matter how good you are at the game, consider using an ankle brace to avoid sprains or tears. Here are our recommendations for the best ankle braces online.
Top Ankle Braces – Our Recommendations
- Mcdavid Ankle Brace – The number one ankle brace for athletes.
- POWERLIX Ankle Brace Compression Support Sleeve – Providing improved circulation and ankle support in a sleek design
- Zamst A2-DX Strong Support Ankle Brace – Keep your ankle in line with the Zamst A2- DX
- Swede-O Tarsal Lok Laced Ankle Brace – Secure your ankle with freedom of complete range of motion
- Shock Doctor Compression Ankle Brace - Shock Doctor 849 – The best product for sprains and ankle tears
- BioSkin Trilok Ankle Brace - Foot and Ankle Support for Ankle Sprains – with four and a half stars on Amazon, this is one the best ankle braces availble online
- DonJoy Performance POD Ankle Brace, Best Support for Stability – Keep your ankle health in check as you use the DonJoy to perform better
Best Ankle Braces For Sports Injuries
- SB SOX Compression Ankle Brace (Pair) – With improved ventilation and blood circulation in your foot, this is the ankle compression you need.
- IRUFA, AN-OS-11,3D Breathable Elastic Knit Patented Fabric Ankle Brace – With an open body, the IRUFA elastic ankle brace is a winner for sports fanatics.
- Zensah Ankle Support - Compression Ankle Brace – The right choice for tendonitis and sprains, the Zensah is astoundingly comfortable
- United Ortho Short Air Cam Walker Fracture Boot, Medium, Black – An ortho brace with a hard shell to make sure you can keep moving without worrying about your foot.
- Kemford Ankle Compression Sleeve - 1-Pair Plantar Fasciitis Sock – Beat Plantar Fasciitis or get your money back – the Kemford promise.
- TechWare Pro Ankle Brace Compression Sleeve – A sleeve that turns you into a machine, TechWare is made for your ankle.
- Crucial Compression Ankle Brace Support Sleeve – When the time calls, Crucial Compression never disappoint – this is an ankle brace that always works.
Best Ankle Brace For Basketball
1) Mcdavid Ankle Brace
A recent research showed that the McDavid Ankle Brace reduces injuries 3x more times than other ankle braces while being used for basketball. This is a significant number because the sport not only requires you to constantly jump, but also make sudden movements with bursts of speed. By shifting your body weight from side to side, you transfer the weight from one ankle to the other and this takes a toll on your ankles as time passes. But with a rating of four and a half stars on Amazon, the McDavid keeps your feet firm on the ground with the confidence to push and perform better, every time. The product has both straps and lace to keep your foot and ankle intact. Besides prevention, it also reduces pain from swelling, sprains, and other related injuries that could deter your performance in game.
- Adjustable lace and strap
- Comes in Three Colours – Grey, White, Black
- Prevents Ankle Sprains and reduces injury
- The brace is comfortable and does not hold sweat
- Athletes that used this product have had 3x lesser ankle sprains, according to a research university.
- Can fit left or right foot.
- Applies maximum compression with proper ventilation to prevent any kind of smell.
- The ankle brace is very and is great for running on the field and in the diamond.
Best Ankle Brace For Running
2) POWERLIX Ankle Brace Compression Support Sleeve
Running is a great way to stay in shape and also improve your performance in sports. Often, people tend to reduce the distance they run because of swelling or injuries along the feet. If you run five miles everyday, you are going to improve your stamina at the risk of a shin splint and an ankle sprain which could lead to Plantar Fasciitis. The Powerlix Support Sleeve uses a thin material to keeping your feet undisturbed in footwear for comfort, while holding your feet firm as you run. The compression offered by the sleeve increases blood circulation and offers and improves performance. The breathtaking design allows you to move freely without worrying about your ankle being held in place. The Powerlix ankle brace lets your feet breathe and recover quickly.
- Superlight and easy to put on
- Good compression for running
- Does not limit the full range of motion
- Incredible quality
- Keeps your foot intact and improves blood circulation
- Smooth and soft Neoprene Material
- Comes in fashionable designs and colors
- 6-months guarantee with 100% money back if you are not satisfied
Best Ankle Brace For Soccer
3) Zamst A2-DX Strong Support Ankle Brace
If you have a career in football, your priority is to maintain healthy and agile feet. You need to keep a check on your ankles and feet throughout the game to avoid injuries while giving it your best. No other sport in the world offers you more risk of ankle injuries than football. But the Zamst A2 holds your ankle and foot together, compressing it firmly with straps and surrounds it with a hard cover. The straps improve blood circulation in the ankle and prevent your ankle from twisting. The hard cover acts as a shell against any outside force acting on your ankle.
There are three principles this ankle brace is designed around:
The i-Fit allows you to move naturally. The a-Fit automatically corrects the foot position, and Grip Tech keeps your ankle from slipping. The Zamst is undoubtedly a work of art for ankle health.
- Engineered with an EXO Grid to as an anatomically perfect ankle brace
- Adjustable even after strapped
- Comes in two sizes
- Does not allow your foot to roll or twist
- The X strap provides three-way support
- A professionally designed pair meant for athletes
Best Ankle Brace For Baseball
4) Swede-O Tarsal Lok Laced Ankle Brace
For quick and easy applications, the Swede-O is an athlete’s best friend. Not only does it maintain your ankle health, but it also gives you a full range of motion every time you perform. While running through the bases, you need to make sure your ankle are firm. Sliding into third becomes easier when you have the confidence of making the run without the risk of an injury. The Swede-O Ankle brace holds your foot in place and makes sure you perform at your best every single time. Besides prevention, it also reduces pain from swelling, sprains, and other related injuries that could deter your performance in game.
- Semi-Rigid – does not limit movement by 100%
- Keeps your ankle secure
- Comes in 5 sizes
- Quick and easy to take on and take off
- Compressed with lace
- Efficient and durable
Best Lace Up Ankle Brace
5) Shock Doctor Compression Ankle Brace – Shock Doctor 849
The primary difference between a strap and lace ankle brace is the range of motion your feet can access. The lace is undoubted better for range of motion. It is a prevention rather than a cure. If you have a healed sprain and want to continue a sport with a brace, then the lace ankle brace is a better choice. It allows you to move your feet in any direction whilst preventing sprains, twists, or other injuries. Our top recommendation for injuries, the Shock Doctor Compression Ankle brace, has a gel cushion on the inside to improve circulation and recovery. The cushion keeps your feet comfortable in your footwear and improves circulation.
- Internal gel cushions provide incredible comfort
- Provides support even while you use it during sports or fitness activities
- Compressed by lace
- Applies therapeutic healing to improve ankle health
- Anatomical foot-bed
Best Ankle Brace For Sprain
6) BioSkin Trilok Ankle Brace – Foot and Ankle Support for Ankle Sprains
An ankle sprain can take place anywhere, from a sport field to the side walk. We can’t be 100% aware of where we are walking, especially if you are in a rush. Ankle sprains and twists happen more often than you think and require your feet to be held in place for recover. This also proves a challenge if you do not have time to relax and need to get back to work. But the BioSkin Trilok is your key to recovery. This ankle brace is a versatile and steady support for your feet. Once the swelling stops, you can strap it on and get back to work or fitness. You don’t have to hold back on performance or fear of another injury.
- Made of Lycra and polyester
- Uses micro-fleece compression
- Has comfortable straps to lock
- Made of a Hypo-Allergenic material for top comfort
- Available in different sizes
- Recommended for Tendonitis
Best Ankle Brace To Prevent Rolling
7) DonJoy Performance POD Ankle Brace, Best Support for Stability
Twisting or having a tear in your ankle is a result of excessive use of the ligaments holding the ankle. This is caused by sudden movements and is unpredictable. Additionally, the pain can keep you off your feet for days until you recover. In order to prevent rolling, you need an ankle brace to keep your ankle and foot in position so it does not twist. Having the maximum level of support and the ability to move through the natural range of motion, the DonJoy POD is astounding for sports and preventing sprains.
Keep in mind that this ankle brace is not just for sport. If you walk long distances to get to work daily, then consider buying this brace to PREVENT any damage.
- Sleek design
- Easy to put on and take off
- Complete ventilation
- Prevents rolls and sprains
- Allows a complete range of motion
- EVA underlying providing top comfort
Best Thin Ankle Brace
8) SB SOX Compression Ankle Brace (Pair)
The best ankle braces you can buy are the ones that fit in your footwear like a sock. This way, your feet are not overwhelming the shoe and it can still continue to give you the same comfort level. If your foot is too bulky, or does not fit in a shoe, you will not get the benefits of support and comfort promised. The SB SOX is a very thin ankle brace that prevents sprains and let’s you forget that you are even wearing one. By reducing leg fatigue and injury, the SB Sox improves blood circulation and physical performance tenfold. This product is highly recommended for athletes.
- Extremely thin but super effective
- Does not move, but can be adjusted sideways
- Achilles tendon support provided
- Total compression and blood support
- Great for any sport and fits into footwear easily
- Premium design
Best Velcro Ankle Brace
9) IRUFA, AN-OS-11,3D Breathable Elastic Knit Patented Fabric Ankle Brace
Ankle braces come in all shapes and sizes. Different sizes offer various support levels and features. As a velcro ankle brace, the IRUFA is designed for the every day user. This ankle brace is not too strong on your joints, but can certainly make you feel the difference. Additionally, the open spaces allow your feet to breathe and it lets your fit into your footwear comfortably. For the 24-hour user, the Irufa is a product that can stay on without collecting sweat. It is easy to wash and works wonders sports, Yoga, etc.
- Easy to put on and take off
- Great ventilation
- Thin design, perfect for footwear
- Tight velcro for compression
- Keeps the ankle intact
- Machine washable and can be worn for 24-hours
Best Ankle Compression Sleeve
10) Zensah Ankle Support – Compression Ankle Brace
Tendinitis, Sprains, and ankle rolls can take place at any time. If you have a career in sports or play daily, you may have witnessed or experienced it first hand. The two factors that lead to injuries are a bad pair of shoes and a loose ankle. The Zensah Compression Sleeve works for both these factors. The Nylon-Spandex material used keeps your feet firmly held along the ankle line right to shin. And with its thin body, the sleeve fits perfectly in your footwear without causing any discomfort or bulking the shoe size. With more blood flow and the incredibly lightweight, these ankle braces make you feel more agile than ever. They are very reliable and useful for ankle pain.
- Made of Nylon and Spandex
- Extreme comfort
- Easily adjustable
- Modern design
- Very thin
- Improves blood circulation
- Machine washable
- 3D Geo Tech Ribbing design to reduce injury
- Comes in different sizes
Best Ankle Braces for Fracture
11) United Ortho Short Air Cam Walker – Best Ankle Braces for Fracture, Medium, Black
Recovering from a fracture takes a toll on your feet. You need to keep your foot firmly held with the ankle and prevent any movement in order to recover completely. Along with this, you need to protect your feet from external forces. The United Ortho Cam Walker is more than a brace. It’s a shell for your ankle that allows you to take your time when recovering from a fracture. The body is heavy enough to keep you from over using your ankle, and light enough to move around. With a case this hard, the United Ortho Walker is a safe space for your feet. Strap in and let the recovery begin.
- Fits either leg
- Hardcover is perfect for fractures
- Increases circulation and improves recovery rate
- 6-month warranty
- Shock-absorbing soles
- Maximum weight is 300 pounds
- Synthetic fabric
Best Ankle Braces for Plantar Fasciitis
12) Kemford Ankle Compression Sleeve – 1-Pair Plantar Fasciitis Sock
The Plantar Fascia is a muscle tissue that connects your heel to your toes. It lies on the sole your feet and aids in allowing you to jump. As you keep jumping and running, the plantar fascia slowly being to wear out causing an injury called Plantar Fasciitis. Sadly, the only way you will know about it is through sharp pains around the sole of your feet. This pain can sometimes be unbearable and is a regular phenomenon for athletes. The Kemford Compression sleeve helps prevent Plantar Fasciitis by holding your ankle and heel firmly enough to maintain the foots original position when you jump or require a sudden burst of speed. Being one of the best options for your feet, Kemford Ankle Compression Sleeve provides faster recovery and is suitable for all shoes.
- Comes in five colors – brown, black, white, pink, and grey
- Comes in different sizes
- The highest rating on Amazon in its class
- Provides proven ankle pain relief
- Keeps your ankle in line with excellent support
- Made of Nylon and Spandex
- Allows you to control the foot’s range of motion
- 100% money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied
Best Ankle Braces for Exercise Recovery
13) TechWare Pro – Best Ankle Braces/ Compression Sleeve
Ankle braces are not only for people with an injury. If you exercise regularly we recommend the TechWare Pro,, and here’s why:
You will be preventing any kind of injury that could affect your ankles. From running to weightlifting, you are using your ankles complete strength to get you through you workout. Once you are done with your workout, you will feel a small and insignificant pain in your ankles. This pain grows over time and is caused due to insufficient recovery of the ankle, heel, and shin. From a medical and health perspective, you need an ankle brace to keep your fitness going. Premium comfort and quality is Techwares moto. These ankle braces are thin and go unnoticed by the public. And if they are noticed, expect your friends to tell you how cool they look.
- Thin sleeve with firm compression
- Comes in different colors
- Improves blood circulation in the feet
- Non-slip material
- Quick relief from Plantar Fasciitis
- Provides superior support
Best Ankle Braces for Ankle Injuries
14) Crucial Compression Ankle Brace Support Sleeve
Ankle injuries include Plantar Fasciitis, Sprains, Twists, Rolls, Tendinitis, and many other injuries that you will never see coming. Crucial Compression is a self explanatory brand that lets you face these injuries head on with superior support and instant relief. The crucial compression ankle brace makes you feel better and provides faster recovery from injury. It allows you to continue being active while keeping your ankle firm and steady. Not only is it recommended for sports, but also for daily use.
- Provides instant support and relief to the foot and ankle
- Complete ventilation and comfort
- It allows you to run or workout with no limits.
- You can control the foot’s range of motion
- Comes in different colors
- Very thin
- Reduces foot fatigue and works as a performance booster
- Different sizes for a perfect fit
How Do I Know If I need An Ankle Brace?
Most people ignore a lot of medical advice because they read it on the internet and let it be. But if you walk, run, skip, or even weight lift, an ankle brace is the best gift you can give your feet. As time goes on, you face the natural wear and tear of muscles. As a result, you develop sprains and other ailments that make your body weaker.
If you have any of the following, we recommend an ankle brace right away:
- Sudden pain on the sole of your feet
- Stress on your foot
- Ankle pain
If you have had any of the following ailments, you should opt for the best ankle brace with straps and lace to keep your foot from moving:
- Avulsion Fracture
- Stress Fracture
- Tendon Ruptures
- Inability to keep your feet stable on the ground
- Swelling around the ankle
Do not neglect the signs that show your ankle becoming weak. It happens to everyone, and we need to find new ways to care for our bodies.
Buying Guide To The Best Ankle Braces
Buying an ankle brace is not as easy as buying a bottle of water. Certain factors allow you to use it daily. Here’s our guide to buying the best ankle braces online:
- Size – Consider the size of the product you are buying. If you purchase ankle braces that are too small, they will limit the blood flow in your leg and cause further problems. If it is too big, the brace will not have any effect. Make sure you see a chart and purchase a leg brace that suits you and your needs.
- Design – Buying the right brace depends upon the style you require. If you are an athlete, you need a brace that is comfortable and allows you to move freely. Sleeve braces differ from straps and lace in quality and comfort. You should also look at colors and find out what you like before making your purchase.
- Type of Compression – From straps to lace, differnt braces offer different levels of support. If you want to keep your feet in place, you need to buy a pair of braces that have a tight hold on your ankles. You can even purchase a pair that is easy to put on and take off immediately, as per your use.
- Material – Nylon Spandex combinations are the majority material used for ankle braces. You can also find hard plastic and gel cushions in some of the best products online. As for the best ankle braces online, look for ones that do not hold sweat and are easy to clean. This is a significant factor as you can reuse the product without worrying.
- Personal Requirement – Understand what your requirement is and what you are looking for in an ankle brace. Not all braces are the same, and not all of them can be useful for every ailment.
- Cost – Cost plays a significant role in finding the right product. We have our recommendations above, which are the best prices for products in their category. You should try to get the maximum value out of your brace, which means reuse, convenience, and injury prevention.
- Warranty – If the company offers you a return policy or warranty on your product, do not hesitate to take it. A return policy is the best way to know that a company is sure about its product’s ability. It’s also one of the reasons you find warranties only with trustable brands.
- Reviews – Don’t rush when buying your ankle brace. Take your time, go through reviews on Amazon, and then make your decision. Different people may have different experiences, and you will only know about it when you hear their story.
Other Ways To Improve Ankle Strength
Several factors cause injuries to your legs. And every day, people take it for granted. Prevention is always better than finding a cure. Here are some measure to avoid injuries to your ankle:
1) Finding The Right Footwear – There are different shoes for every sports activity. You cannot wear baseball shoes while playing basketball. Similarly, you cannot wear walking shoes while running. Every shoe is designed to give you a range of comfort and reduce stress for a specific activity. Find a shoe that suits your requirements.
2) Stretch and Warm-Up – Before any workout or sporting activity, you have to stretch and warm-up your muscles. This practice keeps your body ready for any sudden movements. If you do not warm-up, your body will not be prepared for unexpected high pace situations. This negligence is one of the leading causes of strains and injuries.
3) Regular Exercise – There is no substitute for hardwork. If you want to strengthen your feet and muscles, you need to exercise them. Have a routine where you work out different parts of your body. This is highly recommended for people who walk long distances and those who remain idle for long periods.
4) Look Where You Walk – This might be a funny point, but it’s true. Many people often slip and sprain an ankle because they do not notice the surface over which they are walking. Falling over ice or tripping over a block can even cause you to twist your ankle.
Get immediate medical attention if you have ankle pains. Do not neglect them and make sure you take rest whenever needed.
Q: Can I clean my Ankle brace?
A: Most ankle braces such as Velcro and sleeves, can be machine washed. If you have hard cases, you will have to wash it by hand to avoid damaging the product. Check the manual for further advice on the merchandise you purchase. The best ankle braces you can get usually do not hold too much sweat.
Q: Can I use the Ankle brace while practicing Yoga?
A: Yes. By using an ankle brace, you are improving the blood circulation in your feet and ankle. You are keeping your foot steady, which will also result in better foot positioning during Yoga. This will, in turn, yield better results.
Q: How long should I keep on the Ankle braces?
A: Depending upon what you need the brace for, you can keep it on for minutes or hours. If you are using it specifically for sports, then put it on during the game. If you wear it always during the day, your foot might slowly adjust to the brace in such a way that it might change shape and be unable to function correctly without the ankle brace. Consult your doctor or a medical expert for a precise and personal duration. Always remember to use the best ankle braces which are comfortable.
Make sure you take care of your ankle by using the best ankle braces when playing sports. Injuries can happen at any time, even while walking on the sidewalk. Try icing your feet when they start to pain and get exercise to strengthen your ankle and feet. Make sure the brace you purchase is right for your requirement, whether daily use or for sports. There is no substitute for good health. Also, make sure your shoes are of good quality as wrong shoes can cause joint pains for runners. Remember not to over-train your legs as it could lead to injury, without rest.
Dr. David Taylor is a medical professional and an avid blogger. He holds an M.D. from Drexel University & a Ph.D. from Indiana University School of Medicine.
Dr. David loves to utilize technology to improve healthcare and he does it daily through BestRatedDocs.com. He founded the company in 2016 with the vision to make the discoverability of the best healthcare facilities & best products simple and easy. His passion for informatics and using technology to empower healthcare professionals and the patients they serve is unmatched. He regularly blogs about technology, health IT, medical products and other healthcare topics at bestrateddocs.com.
Last updated on 2020-06-28 // Source: Amazon Affiliates